What's new

Crystal Ball time once again! (1 Viewer)

Stephen Bowie

Stunt Coordinator
If it's Kino or Olive, that opens the possibility of a Blu-ray release. It'd look gorgeous if they shell out for new transfers from film.

Guy Foulard

Second Unit
Real Name
Jason
If it's Kino or Olive, that opens the possibility of a Blu-ray release. It'd look gorgeous if they shell out for new transfers from film.
A smaller label that's willing to shell out for new transfers would be most welcome. But transferring a whole series (even one with a small amount of episodes) isn't as cost-effective as transferring one two-hour movie that can sell for $20-$40.

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
Olive does good work, and I'm very happy that they completed King of the Hill and have Hooperman coming...but if Coronet Blue is coming via Kino-Lorber, it could not possibly be in better hands...a first rate, very active and quality label that has filled my shelves (and emptied my wallet) with many highly prized classic feature films on blu-ray, a lot of them on par with Criterion and Twilight Time, at half the price...Kino HAS issued one previous limited run TV (2 disc) series...the German ZDF TV series Deutschland '83...they have also previously released a 5 disc DVD set of British Noir feature films, their largest multi disc set thus far...this would be the first time that they have delved back this far for a television release, let alone an American '60s show...hope it's them, it would be a great harbinger of perhaps more to come...honestly, Kino-Lorber is my absolute favorite label these days...

Last edited:

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
Earlier today, I directed a question on the Blu-Ray HD thread for Kino - Lorber to MisterLime / Scott, the KL representative who interacts with us here on HTF...if he could respond in a generic way as to whether KL was considering or actually working on giving us a vintage TV release...he kindly and promptly replied that Kino - Lorber IS WORKING ON TWO VINTAGE TV SERIES...one of which will be remastered for Blu - Ray and DVD...with the other series being released only on DVD, not remastered to HD...

They have previously released MGM/UA properties...Outer Limits (?) (!)...and have recently announced or released a lot of choice Fox vintage feature films lately, and old Republic serials and features...I hope they work with CBS / P...Coronet Blue would be great, along with other hoped for TV releases from Olive...

This is absolutely Great news! Honestly, any vintage TV series could not possibly be in better hands than KL when it comes to physical media...any of you who buy their many vintage feature films on Blu-Ray know all about their excellent and prolific catalogue...

In the meantime, and as always, we welcome any gleanings as seen from Neil Brock's crystal ball...and with a nod to our sage Gary OS...

Last edited:

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
Glad to hear that Kino does a good job as I don't collect movies so I have no knowledge of this company. Hmmm, I wonder what the other series is they have in the pipeline? Will have to look into that crystal ball again...

JamesSmith

Senior HTF Member
Is the "announced" series . . . Coronet Blue? And the other one, the Blu Ray one, the "unannounced," one?
Hmm.
the Outer Limits in Blu Ray?
My World and Welcome to It?

James

Ian K McLachlan

Second Unit
Real Name
Ian Kenneth McLachlan
My World and Welcome to It would be one of the series that I would most like to see released on DVD or Blu-ray. But The Outer Limits (original version) would be great on Blu-ray too.

shoeshineboy

Second Unit
Real Name
dan olson
Outer Limits (original) was released about a decade ago. I bought it but sold it after it went out of print; it didn't quite live up to my memories and expectations.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
I really liked the late-1990s era revival of The Outer Limits. (As much as this may sound like "blasphemy" to the purists and/or old timers) . :)

I don't remember much about the original version of The Outer Limits. I was probably too young to remember much about the reruns of it.

I thought about picking up the Fox/MGM released dvd sets of the original Outer Limits, until I learned that they were done as annoying double-sided flipper discs. After they went out of print, I largely didn't care anymore.

But if the original Outer Limits is being released on bluray, then I might consider buying the complete series bluray set. I want to see how it compares to the late-1990s revival version.

Last edited:

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
Jcroy, I agree that the '90s Outer Limits revival had some very good and memorable episodes that were entirely in keeping with the heritage of the '60s original...just like the '80s Twilight Zone revisitation...both the newer series were very uneven... but that can also be said, to some degree, of the originals...although I prefer the older shows overall...I can tell you that as a then 7 year old, the Outer Limits scared the hell out of me..."Architects of Fear" , "Man Who was Never Born", "O.B.I.T.", "It Crawled out of the Woodwork", "Zanti Misfits", "Don't Open Till Doomsday", and above all..."Corpus Earthling" !...I watched them all, night of original broadcast, regardless of the night terrors or nightmares that resulted afterward...but my older thug of a brother insisted I never miss an episode either, ha, ha...and besides, you needed to have watched it in order to participate in the fevered and excited conversation group at school the next day...the kids were wild about it...now as an adult, I can appreciate the best of Outer Limits as among the finest Science Fiction Drama ever presented on TV...

Not to mention the Phenomenal Music of Dominic Frontiere...IMHO, some of the most beautiful and powerful music ever composed and performed in Television...perfect for the show, I wish they had left well enough alone for the abbreviated second season...

I have the whole series on the MGM flipper set distributed by Fox at the time...mine has always played fine, happy to have it...I understand that the OOP sets sell now for a rapacious and crazy price...I think anyone wanting to buy the original Outer Limits on disc would be wise to not buy those old DVD flipper sets...better to wait for further developments on that front concerning a possible remastered blu-ray edition...I think it's coming sooner rather than later...

Last edited:

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
There is money to be made from a company such as Kino releasing the classic series The Outer Limits on blu-ray. But just as importantly, it would engender publicity and great good will among extremely passionate fan bases of both this historically seminal series as well as science fiction. Make it so!

(P.S. - I did not see this was being discussed here when I previously posted this in the Kino thread. Coincidence? Jung would say not. It's in the collective unconscious. Now let's bring it to our conscious collections.)

Last edited:

JamesSmith

Senior HTF Member
Always thought that the "new" Outer Limits was flawed because it was way, way too dark. The original OL had at least two humorous episodes, which I believe broke up the serious tone every now and than. I wish the new OL had a few not so serious episodes so that it could be a bit reaffirming of humanity now and then.

James

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
The outer Limits (Original) on blu ray would be awesome. I have the DVD's and I'm happy with them but the moody black and white photography would be improved greatly in HD just like the original Twilight Zone. I'm not interested in the new Outer Limits there were a few good episodes but very uneven just like the new Twilight Zone and for some reason 80's and 90's movies/TV feels more outdated to me than 50's and 60's movies/TV. The older stuff just feels more timeless but the 80's and 90's stuff was trying to be modern at the time which is what makes it outdated.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
If a hypothetical Outer Limits complete series bluray set is a 10-disc set with five episodes per disc, then I would probably pick it up as a first day purchase (or preorder).

On the other hand, if a hypothetical Outer Limits complete series bluray set is a 7-disc set with seven episodes per disc, then I would probably balk and wait several days for an online review about whether the picture quality is any good.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
(More hypotheticals).

If the Outer Limits turns out to be an extensive HD restoration, then I might be willing to pay a bit more for a 13-disc bluray set with four episodes per disc, with perhaps some new special features or short documentaries.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks