What's new

Crutchfield has the Denon DVD-1600 DVD-Audio player. I had never seen it before. (1 Viewer)

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Crutchfield has the Denon DVD-1600 progressive-scan DVD-Audio player for $500:
http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/S...VD1600&o=m&a=0
I remember hearing about the '1600 months ago, but I had never come across it until this evening. Crutchfield doesn't say that it's a new item. If it isn't new, where has it been? I've never seen one at Tweeter.
By the way, it looks to me like the '1600 is styled after the Panasonic DVD-RA60:
http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/S...VDA60S&o=m&a=0
The 'RA60 is an interlaced player, but the two players look similar. They have the same LED display. Also, the back panels look identical. I am disappointed to see that at $500, the '1600 has no coaxial digital output.
Has anyone used the '1600? Any good?

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
By the way, the remote for the 'RA60 and '1600 are identical. I hate it when one manufacturer rebadges another's product. I'm sure for the extra money, the '1600 is better on the inside than the 'RA60 (plus the '1600 offers progressive-scan output). Still, I don't like rebadged products. :thumbsdown:

Matt DeVillier

Supporting Actor
Keith,

the DVD-1600 is a RP-56 + DD/DTS/DVD-A decoders, and has limited DVD-A bass mangement. Denon's higher end players are designed totally in house, but for their low end model they chose to start build on the RP-56. Given the wide praise for the Rp-56, I don't see this as a bad thing...

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Matt, it is obvious that Denon designed the '1600 after Panasonic players. At least they picked good players to build from. However, at $500, I would rather see an original design. That's just me. Denon designed its first DVD-Audio player, the DVD-3300, after the Technics DVD-A10. I didn't like that either. Again, that's just me.

Matt DeVillier

Supporting Actor
Keith,

I'd prefer an original design as well, but I'm not going to immediately discount it just because of that. Unfortunately I think the DVD-1600 is missing a few key features that I'd like in my next player (both coax and optical digital outputs, scaling for 4x3 FF and LBX material to fit a 16x9 frame - like the RP-91, digital domain bass management with a flexible crossover) so the search continues...

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Matt, as I said, at $500, I'm sure Denon made some changes to the Panasonic design under the hood. However, I am surprised to see that they left out a coaxial digital output. That's inexcusable these days on a $500 DVD player.
EDIT: In looking at the '1600 on Crutchfield's web site, I just noticed that for $500, it does not have gold-plated RCA outputs. The '1600 may be a good performer, but Denon definitely cut some corners in borrowing Panasonic's design.

ReggieW

Screenwriter
The buzz so far on the 1600 has been quite positive. Sadly, the only two players which Denon are now currently doing in house are the DVD-3800 (1,200.00) and the DVD-9000 (3,500.00). Alas, you will have to spend good money to get one of Denon's in-house players. I will be considering the 3800 in the coming months, as I've heard spectacular things regarding the in-house Denon's audio performance with DVD-A's and redbook CD's from Denon Jeff over at the AVS forum. As Keith pointed out, Denon's previous DVD-A player (3300) was based on the Technics A-10, In other words, the two new players mentioned above will be Denons first attempt at building DVD-A players from the ground up. I have high hopes, since Denon has always impressed in the audio department, and these players are said to have an audio mode to limit video inteference for DVD-A playback.

Reg

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
Maybe Denon doesn't consider $500 to be enough to use it's on R&D deparment,a smart move if you see where Denon is trying to position itself on the market,especialy compare to Matchushita.

Having said that I wouln't bother with this player if I was Denon,that segment of the market is the most competitive,and many other companies "specialize" on that[or lower]price level.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Lewis said:

Maybe Denon doesn't consider $500 to be enough to use it's on R&D deparment,a smart move if you see where Denon is trying to position itself on the market,especialy compare to Matchushita.
I don't doubt that. If that is the case, then I feel Denon should stay out of that market altogether. I feel rebadging makes a company look bad, especially a company like Denon that is known for quality. Be original!

Jo_M

Stunt Coordinator
There's a big thread on AVS regarding this player. A rep from denon was participating in the forum.

Ron Alcasid

Stunt Coordinator
Denon will continue to produce the 2800 and will be introducing a revised version called the 2800 Mark II ($799). So there are three Denon designed players.

I just bought this player and can report that so far so good in both picture and sound. Cued up Brain Salad Surgery and was very impressed. I will have more time over the weekend to check it out..... ;)

Users who are viewing this thread