What's new

Crutchfield 40 inch Sony XBR (1 Viewer)

Carol Curtis

Stunt Coordinator
Crutchfield has the new 40 inch XBR up on it's site & also the new Panasonic DVD/VCR combos. They also have the new 7 Disc JVC DVD players. 7 disc's that's a first isn't it?

Gordon Wakim

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Gordon
I saw it on Crutchfield’s web site, nice looking TV, but I am getting sick of Sony and others releasing new models of 4:3 televisions. Everybody is upset about the continued release of full screen and pan and scan DVD titles and the hardware manufacturers keep building televisions that create the need for pan & scan dvd's. I will be very interested when Sony comes out with a direct view 40 inch 16:9 Television.
------------------
Welcome My Son, Welcome To The Machine

Aaron H

Supporting Actor
Also, if anyone in the Tampa, St. Pete/Clearwater area is interested in the new Sony 40" XBR, Sound Advice on Dale Mabry has had one for about 2 weeks. Nice looking for sure.
Aaron

Carson E

Agent
3500 plus stand yikes.
However everyone is not "upset" at the continued release of 4x3 TVs. With 99% of television and satellite broadcats in 4x3 I see no real reason to buy a 16x9 at this time. Watch a couple hours of DVD a week and the other 40 hrs 4x3. Think side "burn in" may become a problem? I can surely enjoy a Ltrbx movie on a 4x3.
Face it 4x3 will be produced for at least 10 more years. The TV stations have all but convinced the gov't to not enforce the switch over until 2010 or 85%in home use of 16x9 TVs. And with Sony now made in Mexico and not having the capability to properly align the yoke, Who would really care.
Hey SONY learn to align the yoke. 16 wegas and counting and ALL pictures droop to the left. Check out a ltrbx movie and measure the bars. I wouldn't have thought Sony would ever have a "Made In Mexico" sticker on the back...ever.

Frederick

Second Unit
But why buy a 40" 4x3 when you can get Sony's 43" for almost half the price? I have the older 43", and it's plenty bright. Too bright at times ...
Freddy
------------------
" ... Live Well, Laugh Often, Love Much ..."

Matt_Stevens

Supporting Actor
I must say, this set is a complete waste of money. #1, It has uneven brightness (slight, but is IS there). #2. For that price, you can get a heck of a lot more, as you must buy the stand, since no other stand can hold this behemoth's weight! The 36" XBR450 is a better buy for direct view. Otherwise, RP-HD is the way to go.
------------------
www.deceptions.net/superman

Aaron H

Supporting Actor
Frederick,
Now I'm not saying I have the cash to drop $3500 on a TV, but when put side-by-side, the 40" direct view looked amazing compared to the 43" HT20. $1500 difference? Maybe close to it.
Some poeple do have that kinda cash. And I would say that if spending $3500 on a TV is no big deal, then there's no comparison at all between the 2 models you listed.
Aaron

jeff lam

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeff Lam
In referrence to Gordon's post, I have no problem with watching widescreen DVD's on a 3:4 TV. Actually, from what I have seen so far, I think it looks better on a 3:4. Besides, if it's the black bars you don't like, when you watch a 1.85, or 2.35:1 on a 16:9 screen you will still see black bars on the top and bottom right? With all the different aspect ratio's out there, I would rather have a TV that can handle them all.

Aaron H

Supporting Actor
I second that Jeff. I won't be buying a 16:9 TV for years. I'll be perfectly happy with the 16:9 picture on my 4:3 61" Sony HS30, which comes out to the equivalent of a 55" widescreen, I do believe. And I'll still be able to enjoy an un-streched 4:3 view.
Aaron

MarkWC

Stunt Coordinator
I understand that a direct view in this price bracket is not at all economical in comparison to some of the larger RPTV at a fraction of the cost. However, if DVD is the only source to recognize the potential of bigger televisions, why even consider a RPTV? A direct view is the only way to go for a person like me since cable and satelitte are my main sources of video. Show me a RPTV which can handle something other than HD and DVD like a direct view and I will take your advice on what size to get.
This sucker is huge and expensive, but I have already done my homework, and my 60hr weeks will pay off staring at this beast.
.....now can I put half on this credit card and half on the other?!?

bryan_chow

Agent
"But why buy a 40" 4x3 when you can get Sony's 43" for almost half the price? I have the older 43", and it's plenty bright. Too bright at times ..."
The picture quality of the 43" RPTV doesn't even come close to the WEGA (granted, I've only seen the 36" WEGA).
Also, the XBR has anamorphic squeeze so you don't lose any quality when watching 16:9 DVDs. It's even automatic if your DVD player follows the specs.
Bryan

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Somebody said Sony sets were made in Mexico, correcto, si. But, I believe the XBR sets are all stille made in Japan...? That's what I've heard anyway. I hate the stand this set comes on. I looked around for a stand that I favoured that would suppourt it. Nada! So I got an XBR 450 36". I always wanted the 40" Mitsu when they made them....
------------------
Rachael, the big disc cat! "...Mandrake, have you ever seen a commie drink water..."
AFI Film Challenge, hey I've only got 1 to go!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks