What's new

Crummiest INITIAL sequels? (1 Viewer)

DeanR

Second Unit
Real Name
Dean
Kevin, I agree the Howling 2 is crap but I would buy the DVD instantly because Sybil Danning is one of my all time favs. I wonder how she looks today?
I would like to add:
Beyond the Poseidon Adventure
What a turd!

Rob P S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
rob
Ace Ventura: When Nature Calls
Another 48 HRS.
Avenging Angel
Beverly Hills Cop II
Cannonball Run II
Care Bears Movie II
Conan the Destroyer
Dumb and Dumberer: When Harry Met Lloyd
The Evening Star
Grease 2
Halloween II
Hannibal
Home Alone 2
Mortal Kombat: Annhilation
Oh, God! Book II
Phantasm II
Police Academy II
Porky's II: The Next Day
Revenge of the Nerds II
Sister Act 2
Smokey and the Bandit II
Three Men and a Little Lady

VinceCar

Grip
Another added to the ones already mentioned: Analyze That. Ended up OK, but I didn't intially think even DeNiro could save this.

And I can't believe Phantasm 2 would be mentioned! Best in the series IMO. Phantasm 3 is a different story though...

Scott McGillivray

Supporting Actor
My head is reeling at just the mention of so many awful movies. Some really great (as in bad) choices already listed. If I had to pick just ONE though....wow...that would be tough. Hmmm...I guess in terms of just sheer disappointment would have to be:

Highlander 2

I was really, really looking forward to that movie and it just sucked big time. Yes, even the renegade version sucks.

Oh, I am in the "loved Predator hated P2" group. What was up with Bill Paxton's acting? Ugh.

Matt Pasant

Second Unit
Superman II - I did not think it matched the epic scale of the 1st one by a mile. Add to that the poorly looped lines, Margot Kidder looking different from scene to scene, etc. Just wasn't my cup of tea.
M: I 2 -- A Bad sequel. Total misuse of Anthony Hopkins. A dove in every scene. horrible love story, WAY over the top action scenes. And um... no plot.

Peter Mazur

Second Unit
These are sequels I absolutely hate:

T2
The Temple Of Doom
Beneath The Planet Of The Apes
Caddyshack 2
Conan The Destroyer
Rambo: First Blood 2
Grease 2
The Lost World: Jurassic Park

I am in the camp that likes Predator 2 though, almost as much as the original.

I actually prefer Gremlins 2 to the original. I like it's off-the-wall humor.

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
I'd have to agree on Superman 2. The film lacked internal logic. Exactly what powers did the Kryptonians have?

Nick_Scott

Second Unit
Another one is Fearless Hyena 2.
Fearless Hyena was easily Jackie Chans best kung-fu movie.

It was very popular, but Chan refused to do a sequal.
So, the director took outtakes and cut-scenes from the first.
Then added a body-double, to fill in the rest, and that was Fearless Hyena 2. No plot what-so-ever.

Oh, Rosemarys Baby 2 was also terrible.

BTW, I liked Blair Witch-2. I watched it a few times to try and find all the easter eggs.

Nick

Neil Weinstock

Stunt Coordinator
Anyone mention "Jewel of the Nile" yet?

Grease 2 and Staying Alive are good ones too, though Grease 2 does have its adherents (not me!)

Superman 2, on the other hand, was my favorite of the lot. Internal logic be damned, it had tons of great plot turns.

Also disagree on MIIB. Sure it was a rehash, but it still had some entertaining bits in it (the dog was hilarious.) I didn't think the original was exactly a model of movie perfection anyway, just some good fun with absolutely zero substance.

Nate Anderson

Screenwriter
Needless to say, unless I hear some absolute raves -- and I haven't -- I'm avoiding Goldmember like punctuation and grammar in an AOL Usenet post.
I loved roughly the first ten minutes or so...they were just hysterical. The movie is funny enough, but the beginning is priceless.

rick stein

Stunt Coordinator
Wow alot of good ones and a few surprises too.But my pick has to be american pie 2. I only laughed once and the story was all over the place

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Needless to say, unless I hear some absolute raves -- and I haven't -- I'm avoiding Goldmember like punctuation and grammar in an AOL Usenet post.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I loved roughly the first ten minutes or so...they were just hysterical. The movie is funny enough, but the beginning is priceless.

I thought Goldmember was a substantial improvement over the forced and generally unfunny Shagged. The latter felt like they tried too hard - there was all that pressure to make a giant hit, and all of the easy charm of Mystery vanished. With Goldmember, Myers and co. could rest easy - they'd proven they could produce a hit when expected so they didn't need to mindlessly repeat the same gags without any real twists. The original remains the best, but I kind of liked Goldmember - it's certainly a lot better than Shagged...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks