What's new

Crummiest INITIAL sequels? (1 Viewer)

Aaron Reynolds

Screenwriter
Real Name
Aaron Reynolds
I can't believe that someone beat me to Bride of Re-Animator!
And re: Robocop 2 -- at least Robocop 3 had the good sense to be ridiculous: "I thought you said your ninja would take care of Robocop!" Wooo!

Matthew_Millheiser

Supporting Actor
Predator 2 was pretty awful, even by the glossed up B-movie standards of the original.
The aforementioned Highlander 2 is a classic example of this. Not only a horrific movie, but manages to take down the enjoyable original movie with it.
I lived and died for Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom when I first saw it in the theaters at age 13. Since then, I've liked it less and less, although I still think it's much better than The Last Crusade, which is a pale rehash of the original and manages to trash the great characters of Brody and Sallah.

MickeS

Senior HTF Member

Can't agree with you at all there. The sequel was, IMO, superior to the original. It took the concept to an environment that suited it better, and the action was better. I love the ending too.

/Mike

Jeff Pryor

Supporting Actor
I'm one of the rare few who actually thought 'American Werewolf in Paris' was better than the original.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Independence Day 2
Whoops, this one hasn't been released yet.....
but when it is.....
it'll qualify. :)

Mitty

Supporting Actor
...except of course, that the original ID4 was itself a steaming turd.

As Colin said in his original post:

...I had trouble thinking of any that dropped off so heavily from the first flick.

Justin_S

Senior HTF Member
The original PREDATOR is a great film, but PREDATOR 2 is much better in my opinion. Better setting, Danny Glover, Gary Busey, new cool Predator weapons, and a downright badass ending make this film a better one than the first!

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
The Howling II was a crap-a-thon....well...apart from Sybil Danning ripping her clothes off again & again.:D
I rather liked Psycho II though.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Predator 2 was absolute shite. To say otherwise would clearly be a case of the crack talking.
Which kind of crack: cocaine or butt? Either way, I like the movie. I think the first is mediocre at best, but the second has some excellent action sequences...

Russell B

Stunt Coordinator
Batman Returns

Die Hard 2

Rambo 2

Escape From L.A.

Revenge Of The Nerds 2

National Lampoons European Vacation

Matthew_Millheiser

Supporting Actor
Man, I must be alone on loathing Predator 2. Granted, I haven't seen it since its theatrical release back in 1990, but I remember coming about absolutely seething.
It just seemed to be such a cliche-ridden piece of tripe that I couldn't stomach more than 10-minutes of it... and but I somehow managed to watch the whole movie.
Man, was I mad though...
To each their own, I suppose. Speaking of which, I still think Austin Powers: The Spy Who Shagged Me managed to destroy my love of the original film. And I loved the original. The sequel made me hate the whole concept. Needless to say, unless I hear some absolute raves -- and I haven't -- I'm avoiding Goldmember like punctuation and grammar in an AOL Usenet post.

So long as I live, you shall never be alone in your Predator 2 hate.
Pedestrian garbage with some of the most ham-fisted, phoned-in acting I've ever seen. Ahhh! that awful script. Wanna learn how to kill a potential franchise deader than dogshit, watch Predator 2.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Needless to say, unless I hear some absolute raves -- and I haven't -- I'm avoiding Goldmember like punctuation and grammar in an AOL Usenet post.
Have you read the Goldmember review thread? 10 of 16 reviews are positive with several unqualified "raves" and several "best of the series" comments.

Peter Kim

Screenwriter
Blue in the Face. It's the follow-up to Wayne Wang's Smoke. Had all the ingredients of a great film, but did not coalesce.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks