What's new

Crummiest Bands of the 90's (1 Viewer)

Peter Mazur

Second Unit
Mike Broadman,

Enchant don't rip off Dream Theater, they rip off Marillion. Although "Nighttime Sky" and "Catharsis" are great songs.

Also Queensryche's second best album came out in the 90's - "Promised Land".

MikeAW

Second Unit
Never understood Huey Lewis and the News...mediocre bar band, so why all the excitement...I much prefer Eddie Money; Michael Bolton...why and just WHAT did we do to deserve him ?; Richard Marx, Roxette, Melissa Ethridge...other that her Lesbian Connection, what was she ?.., Seal, Hanson...I saw some recent video of these guys and can't believe they are still around...anyone know why; Goo Goo Dolls, Everything But The Girl, Los Del Rio, Chumbawumba.

Also rans, but they NEVER fulfilled their promise....Phil Collins...this is the saddest sad sack that ever graced a stage, but he's made so much money and been rewarded for his blandness, you can't really blame him for expelling his crap, right ?; Gin Blossoms, The Wallflowers...all they had was the Dylan connection and it wasn't enough; Fugees, Joan Osbourne....where is she today ?

A sure sign a singing career is in trouble when you desparately collaborate in search of reaching an audience...meaning ANYONE...but you're not really sure who's career....Puff Dady/Jimmy Page Puff & Dady/Faith Evans. What was Jimmy Page thinking as he should really no better...OOOOPs, I'm starting that old argument again aren't I !!!!

TheoGB

Screenwriter
Jazz Club?
*Takes a drag on cigarette and turns to camera on left*
"Great!"
*Exhales like he's ever so slightly constipated*
:D
Okay, don't know if you guys have ever actually seen The Fast Show over there.;)

Thomas_Berg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
i'll be here all day defending the Red Hot Chili Peppers, Blink 182, Green Day, Nirvana, Candlebox, STP, Counting Crows, Bush, and others, so i'll just name a few that i hate.
all those boy/girl groups :thumbsdown:
Nine Days
Puff 'Diddy'
Alanis Morissette
Aphex Twin (techno i general)
Slipknot
Marilyn Manson

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Enchant don't rip off Dream Theater, they rip off Marillion
lol
Ok, I'm sorry. It's hard to keep track of who rips who off.
Though I must say, I like Shadow Gallery a lot. Yes, they rip off Queensryche and Dreamtheater, but I like two of their albums anyway. Fun stuff.
And count me in as someone who thinks Greenday blew.
Also, if I haven't angered enough people yet, I'm going to mention the Smashing Pumpkins if they haven't been yet. They're decent musicians, but they sure write a lot of boring songs. And here's a tip for them: Corgan + orchestra = lame.
I like a couple of their songs: Zero, Cherub Rock.
Once I tried to listen to Melencholie. I want those 2 hours of my life back.

JasenP

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jasen
One Word, One Band, Thousands Of Fans, One stupid way to spell.

Phish

I don't understand their popularity at all.

Tim Hess

Second Unit
I could go on and on.

All the 3 chord 'pop/punk' bands that rose from the 'MTV/Media positioned Grunge Bands'.

RicP

Screenwriter
her Lesbian Connection, what was she
Uh....talented? I don't really believe the lesbian crack was warranted or necessary, as it has nothing whatsoever to do with her music; unless of course that's the only thing you can come up with for your specious argument.

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Though I must say, I like Shadow Gallery a lot. Yes, they rip off Queensryche and Dreamtheater, but I like two of their albums anyway. Fun stuff.
You don't like Symphony X, but you like Shadow Gallery? Please. I lost all respect for SG when I found out that they will never play live.

You called Symphony X a DT ripoff, which isn't right. If anything, they are a Malmsteen ripoff, and if so, they do it much better than Malmsteen ever did.

Jason

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
You don't like Symphony X, but you like Shadow Gallery? Please. I lost all respect for SG when I found out that they will never play live.
I never said it made sense. I just happen to like one, not the other.

Steely Dan also didn't play live, but I still listen to them.

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Oh, you silly nitpickers. You know very well what I mean.
Steely Dan played when they started, then quit touring until they reunited recently.
And yes, I saw them in concert, too, on the last tour. :)

Kevin T

Screenwriter
i'll second phish...and put in a jab for my disdain for all things grateful dead. of course, the dead didn't need talent since they played to smoked up hippies and granola girls.

thomas:

not trying to argue but how can you lump slipknot and marilyn manson in with boy/girl bands? or did you just add them as an after thought?

my pick for the crummiest band of the '90's:

4 Non Blondes - now they are the quintescence of scat play my friends.

kevin t

Ash Williams

Second Unit
The Butthole Surfers are, to me, the worst band ever.
I also agree on Hootie & The Blowfish. I recall a segment on The Simpsons where Chief Wiggum was recording over a Hootie & The Blowfish tape to record a mafia deal. Lisa asked him why he was using it and he replied "It's cheaper then blank tape." :laugh:

Todd H

Go Dawgs!
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd
311, STP, Nirvana, RHCP, and Green Day rock! Lay off! :)
I'd have to agree with some of the other choices though. What about Creed, Backstreet Boys, N'Sync, P. Diddy, Eminem, Britney Spears, and the rest of the CRAP that came in the 90's? And by crap I mean the created-by-committee commercial crap that makes you want to puke everytime you are subjected to it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks