CRTC approves Al-Jazeera broadcasts in Canada...huh?

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Max Leung, Jul 15, 2004.

1. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

2. MikeH

MikeH Stunt Coordinator

or HDNet, Fox News, ESPN, ESPN2 etc, etc.

Don't you love the CRTC especially considering they shut down that radio station in Quebec "because insulting and offensive on-air content violates the Broadcasting Act". If that was true there would be nothing on TV or the radio.

Mike

3. Marc_Savoie

Marc_Savoie Stunt Coordinator

Because we have NewsWorld, ESPNCanada, SportsNET, etc etc.

And I hate it. I'm constantly wishing Canada would just give me the US channels I want rather than pathetic Canadian counterparts that carry some of the same programming but are mostly uninteresting (ex: I want ESPN, NOT ESPNCanada; I want ESPNClassics, NOT ESPNCanadaClassics, I want Comedy Central, NOT the Comedy Network; I want VH1, NOT MuchMoreMusic; I want MTV, NOT MTVCanada; I want IFC, NOT IFC Canada - and dozens more examples).

A petty complaint it may seem, but I'm genuinely unintersted in most of what Canadian satellite, deluxe cable, or digital TV offers. I really do wish the CRTC regulations were more leniant. If they were, I'd immediately get hooked up for the US stations I've always wanted and enjoyed when I visit the States.
    Further, I beg the good folks at TiVo to please make an strong effort to come to Canada. I'm really not digging the PVR's my country's offering me either.

Sorry for the off-topic-ish rant.
    On topic, I don't have a big problem with Al-Jazeera coming, as it's a unique voice and perspective. But I DO wish they'd instead loosen their strict CanCon rules and satellite rules, etc instead. I love my country to death, and it may sound ridiculous, but as a TV nut, not getting to watch much of what interests me from the US cable stations (and if I do, it comes months or years late) is a major peeve of mine.

4. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

I’ll interrupt the thread to promote

Control Room

a documentary that looks at Al-Jazeera during a period of the Iraq war. I really think that this is one of the outstanding documentaries so far this year.

See it if you can.

5. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

Hehe nice plug Lew. I will probably catch it on DVD...if it comes out on that format!

I agree with the sentiment expressed in this thread...grr. Well at least Shaw Cable is starting to carry HDTV channels...finally...after two years...blah.

6. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

7. Francois Caron

Francois Caron Cinematographer

Francois Caron
    The latest round of decisions just demonstrates how out of touch the CRTC is from the Canadian public. And for good reason. It's an organization created to protect the interests of the illegitimate Canadian broadcasting industry, NOT the Canadian people and all the various ethnic cultures that compose it.

The only way you can get uncensored/unedited/unrestricted international programming in this country is by stealing it. There's simply no other way.

8. Lance Nichols

Lance Nichols Supporting Actor

Hell, I for one would be mildly interested in seeing "the other side's" view.

To counter all the bitching about "I hate the canadian version of x, y or z channel" I LOVE parts of the new G4techtv Canada. Call for Help 2.0!!!! I just can't wait until the Canadian channel starts syndicating it back to the american parent that killed the original show. That being said, I hate the fact that G4TechTV is aiming for kids with a 30 second attention span. Really, Really, Really hate it.

Seriously, this is a separate country from the US, part of the crtc's mandate, much like the fcc's in the US, is to protect and promote our culture and industries, and like it or not, that includes Canadian avertisement agencies.

9. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer