CRT Warped?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Greg Kennedy, Mar 11, 2004.

1. Greg Kennedy

Greg Kennedy Agent

Hi, all. I've had my 36" Sony Wega for a couple years now and something I've noticed is that when it plays a widescreen DVD, the picture on the left side of the TV seems to angle slightly downward. The picture looks great otherwise and I have no complaints in regular ole 4:3 mode. It's been like this for a long time. Anyone have a clue if this is a tube defect or any other ideas?

Thanks.

gk

2. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Your geometry is off -- common on flatfaced CRT-based designs. It's correctable from the service menu.

3. Greg Kennedy

Greg Kennedy Agent

I'll check it, but I swear I have been through every menu my TV offers and never saw anything that allows me to adjust the geometry. I have a KV-36FV26.

4. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

The service menu is different from the user menus you're thinking about. Accessing it requires a certain code, and once you get in, you have to be very, very careful. Your FV26 is a three-year-old model, and there may be other members here who can give you the access codes.

5. Greg Kennedy

Greg Kennedy Agent

Ah.. I didn't catch the difference between menu and "service" menu. I'll start doing research. If anyone out there can give me more details about accessing the service menu for my TV, please share!

Thanks!

gk

6. Gregg Loewen

Gregg Loewen Video Standards Instructor, THX Ltd.
    Insider

Gregg Loewen
    I suggest you purchase a service manual and follow the instructions for optimizing the geometry.

best wishes

gregg

7. Robert Todd

Robert Todd Agent

Yeah, you can REALLY screw up your set if you go aimlessly poking around in the service menu. Do as Gregg suggested, even though you might find the code somewhere else.

8. TomCW

TomCW Second Unit

9. Greg Kennedy

Greg Kennedy Agent

Thanks for the link, Tom. I'm going to see how closely their setting abbreviations match my set and then if I can figure out what needs to be tweaked I might give it a shot.

I guess my biggest problem is that unless I'm able to have a DVD playing while in the service menu then I won't be able to get the feedback to correct (or help me determine what knob does what). Does anyone have any suggestions for what I might be looking for to take care of the problem I described in the original thread?

If you look at the list of setttings on this page: http://myweb.accessus.net/~090/sonyadj.html

then you will see what my options are. I was going to play with UPIN (pincushion upper ends, vertical lines) or maybe some of the keystone corrections. It's really a guessing game right now and if I can't get feedback easily while doing it then I might have a problem.

Thanks.

gk

10. TomCW

TomCW Second Unit

Greg,
    I used the cross hatch test patterns in AVIA, along with the service manual to tweak the geometry on my 36" Sharp. Write down the settings before you mess with them so if something goes horribly wrong you can hopefully get back to where you are now.
    These settings would be the most likely to need adjusting for the problem you describe, IMO.
    PAMP 18 0-31 Pincushion Amp.
    CPIN 4 0-7 Corner Pincushion
    PPHA 7 0-15 Pincushion Phase
    UPIN 10 0-31 Pincushion upper ends, vertical lines
    LPIN 10 0-31 Pincushion lower ends, vertical lines
    PPHA 7 0-15 Keystone correction vertical lines
    HKEY 6 0-15 Keystone distortion, horizontal lines
    HTRP 8 0-15 Keystone correction, horizontal lines

This guy has service manuals for most Sony stuff. I have ordered from him several times with no hassle.
    http://www.celica-dude.d2g.com/

Tom

PS. He has the manual for your set, $10

11. Greg Kennedy

Greg Kennedy Agent

I just got the service manual and am flipping through it now. Again, thanks for the link. Hopefully this will have enough detail to solve my problem.

Thanks again!

gk