CRT vs LCD

Discussion in 'Displays' started by sethM, May 10, 2006.

1. sethM

sethM Auditioning

Age old question-
    I am looking to replace my old CRT.
    I have Direct TV (not HD - yet, and at least not till they have 150 HD channels, which I am told is some time this year, which could mean next year).

I like the look of the LG & Samsung slim TV's - both a widescreen 30 incher.
    At this time the display is great compared to a LCD w/regular signal.
    On a 32" LCD a regular signal is somewhat blurry.

I have a DVD w/HDMI so would work with either the new CRT widescreen or a new LCD tv.

The weight is not an issue & price not an issue.
    All (two) cents will be considered.

2. Sami Kallio

Sami Kallio Screenwriter

What models are you comparing? CRT is still the king of the hill on PQ but you can't deny the convenience of a digital display.

3. sethM

sethM Auditioning

LG 30FS4D vs a Samsung TX-R3080WH vs a Philips 30PW9100D ?

Each are 30" widescreen with HD tuner built in.
    I like the Samsung - it has 2 HDMI 's !

I think I have decided to upgrade my current tv to a widescreen CRT rarther a LCD. I have Satellite, but not HD Sat and seems "out of the box" a CRt looks better.
    Plus seems most LCD's in price range only have one HDMI, since my DVD has HDMI, then why buy the LCD (?).

I have checked out CNET, but looking for further input.

THX

4. Jerome Grate

Jerome Grate Cinematographer

CRT may produce the best picture especially after calibration, but the real truth is that it's obsolete technology. Now in a 30 inch screen the difference between a digital display and a CRT is probably minimal when it comes to HD. If you are going to jump into HD-DVD or Blu-ray Disc, Then it would probably be a good idea to wait and see what's out there in regards to 1080p native resolution sets that will benefit from the two waring formats. I tell you though, a well calibrated CRT set is just beautiful and hard to let go.

5. Steve+A+

Steve+A+ Auditioning

I opted for an LCD simply because I can move it. The CRT's are quite heavy. So hope you never need to move one up some stairs. Or from one room to another for special occasion.

Also, the thirty incher is likely going to end up in your bedroom at some point down the road. If you have a spacious bedroom (or expect to have) then it won't matter. If you expect to be a bit space challenged, then I'd go with a flat panel, because you will be able to fit it where it makes sense.

6. sethM

sethM Auditioning

Weight not an issue - I don't plan on moving it on a regular basis.
    Space is an issue as the width opening of my entertainment center is 36"
    Location- will not be moved to our bedroom. We just prefer not to have one in there.
    Mainly just looking for the best picture with non HD satellite (though want an upgradeable TV (2 HDMi's or one w/an RGB) so when in 2007 or 2008 will then get HD Satellite. But looking to buy a new TV now.

7. Steve+A+

Steve+A+ Auditioning

I thought I'd never want a tv in the kitchen either, but then I ran into Americas Test Kitchen. I salute your ban on tv's in the bedroom. You are a better man than I (to quote some stuffy old brit). The 2 HDMi's are worth considering. I'm cheaper than most and, luckily, not blessed with an overly critical eye.

So when I found a reasonable 32 inch HDTV with tuner for a grand, I jumped. Yeah, there were better ones out there. More money or much more money. And better pictures, kinda sorta, definitely some nicer features, but I can adjust.

Plus I knew that once it started (with the tv) it wouldn't stop there. So now I lust after one of those Polk Audio surround bars. And that's going to be another seven bills easy. Plus a sub. Now just to make all the cutting edge aficionados squirm, I started hunting my "killer" A/V receiver on craigslist. Found something that will do for a hundred and a half even if it is five years old.

Hey, the picture's clean and crisp, the sound is going to be over a nice l a r g e sweet spot, and I'll have enough left over to fly overseas for christmas.

8. sethM

sethM Auditioning

Steve -
    Which TV did you buy?
    Do you have HD in cable or sat ?

9. Doug Z

Doug Z Stunt Coordinator

For the size set you are looking for this is the only one to consider IMHO.

http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INTE...tv_tube_34to36

CRT is king and for the price you won't beat it. I have the room for a larger set so I went with a CRT RPTV from Hitachi, otherwise the Sony would have been my 2nd choice. I'm not going to start a LCD-CRT war but if you don't mind the weight at least go check it out. When 1080P is everywhere make this the bedroom set and upgrade then, but this will keep you happy for a while.

10. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

seth: what is your viewing environment like? How important is on/off CR for you?

11. Brian Bowles

Brian Bowles Second Unit

My crt still looks great. It also looks much better than a lcd or dllp when viewing cable channels. Although lcds and dlps are brighter and are not as dependent on calibration. Also they are lighter.

12. scott>c

scott>c Second Unit

I agree also. Crt is definately the "heavyweight" champ!!!! I wont be giving mine up soon and boy was it a pain 2 get into my 2nd floor hometheater room!!! But well worth the back pain as the picture quality is fantastic with my Hd-a1 player.

13. dan-0

dan-0 Stunt Coordinator

Why pay extra for the new technology and space savings of a LCD/Plasma if you you don't need it? I don't understand 'their heavy' arguement, who the heck is moving their TV all the time?

If you don't need the space, get the CRT.

14. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Get a "slim" CRT [​IMG] link. More expensive than a normal CRT, but meets your needs and still gives a better picture.