Crt Vs Lcd

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Sergio S, Sep 26, 2005.

1. Sergio S

Sergio S Extra

Hello, I just purchased a Maxnet 32" LCD from Costco, it was 999.99, and, to my standards has a pretty good picture using component from DVD and anamorphic dvds. I was just wondering, I am going to be getting xbox 360 and watch alot of broadcast television as well...should i switch to a CRT widescreen televsion set such as the philips 30" from costco, or is the LCD screen a much better set. Does the CRT have a better picture, as good or what? Any thoughts would be appreciated. Also, I am about 5' away from the tv set, should i get a 46" Toshiba DLP instead at 2000 dollars for my purposes or is it a wast eof money. IJ do have a good surround system, Onkyo 595 receiver and jbl n24 northwood speakers. I was wondering what you guys think I should do...Thanks alot!

P.S. I do also watch alot of dvds, but at the same time watch alot of tv and play video games thanks

2. John S

John S Producer

32" LCD Direct View for $999? Seems like a good price. If you like the picture, I'd say it is a perfect display for you.

CRT will give you much better black / shadow detail. Does regular NTSC broadcast not look so hot? (fairly common complaint)

3. Sergio S

Sergio S Extra

Well, I havent used it much, but im having doubts, as I would like to play alot of video games...I was wonderin gshould i get an RPTV CRT display or are those bad for video games and movies if im 5 feet away with a 46" RPTV CRT display. Also i was wondering is hte picture better and worht it to get a cheaper CRT widescreen HDTV if space isn ot an issue thanks

4. Michael TLV

Michael TLV THX Video Instructor/Calibrator

Michael Chen
    Greetings

A CRT RPTV is only better if you thoroughly calibrate the TV. (Professional or otherwise) If you are not prepared to do this, then stay with the digital displays.

Much better suited to gaming ...

No one really cares too much about great blacks on a game. They'd rather survive the fighting because they see someone hiding in the shadows rather than die ...

Regards

5. Sergio S

Sergio S Extra

ya, the size woudl be a big factor tho, as I would like that bigger size...Where can someone get an rptv these days do they still sell in stores? Also, Would u guys recommend the 34" toshiba at best buy for 999 or should i go with the rptv or stick to my LCD AHHH SO MANY CHOICSE!

6. John S

John S Producer

I'd stick with the LCD and I am a CRT freak of sorts. [​IMG]

7. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

that's putting it mildly ... [​IMG]

8. Charlie Campisi

Charlie Campisi Screenwriter

Are you still going to be 5' away even with a CRT RPTV? They are much deeper and could cut down on your space. 5' is pretty close. 4' would be bad, imo.

9. Sergio S

Sergio S Extra

just wondering...why keep the lcd

10. John S

John S Producer

Because different display technologies are all about trade offs. And you seem happy with the display in general. You may just not be as happy with something else period.

You should still be able to find CRT RP though, it isn't completely gone yet.