CRT vs DLP vs LCOS--confused!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jeff_PxR, Feb 12, 2003.

1. Jeff_PxR

Jeff_PxR Stunt Coordinator

OK, I hear CRT can get screen burn. I read in the forums that DLP and LCOS do not. Are these Rear Projection technologies?? What is the difference and cost? Sorry--I'm ignorant! [​IMG]

2. Phil L

Phil L Supporting Actor

There are rear projection DLP and LCOS TVs (well, there is only one RP LCOS). There are 2 samsung DLPs that run (I think) around 3,500-4,500. There is a Panasonic DLP as well, I don't know the pricing. The only LCOS RP on the market is a 57 inch Toshiba that runs about 7,500 if you can find one, they're in pretty high demand at the moment. Phillips is planning on releasing a LCOS later this year.

3. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    CRT, LCD, DLP, LCOS are available in front projection and rear projection and yes, CRT is more susceptible to "burn-in".

4. Jeff_PxR

Jeff_PxR Stunt Coordinator

Any word on the Mitsubishi WD-65100 Rear Projection DLP then?[​IMG]

5. Scott_Jua

Scott_Jua Stunt Coordinator

There is an RCA LCOS...available at least at Costco.com, if not in their stores for alot less than the Toshiba (RCA=$3,599.99).

Now whether or not it's as good remains to be seen.

[​IMG]

6. Hanson

Hanson Producer

Hanson
    The RCA set is 1280 X 720 native. The Toshiba LCOS that everyone is drooling over is 1920 X 1080 native, and has a max resolution of 1920 X 1080p. That's right, 1080 progressive. It can also be calibrated for greyscale and whatnot, while the RCA cannot.

Looks like the end of CRT based RPTV's as we know it. DLP will probably fade away as well once LCOS becomes the new standard for HDTV.

7. Phil L

Phil L Supporting Actor

I think the end of CRTs is still a few years off.

Neither the DLP or LCOS can match CRT black levels. I wouldn't give LCOS the edge over DLP yet, the DLPs are mass produced, the LCOS are practically hand-made at this point (and at their price point they should be). I think LCOS has momentum going for it right now but if some manufacturer makes a DLP with 3 chips and no color wheel (eliminating the screen door effect) DLP could surge massively.

BTW, the Toshiba LCOS scales to 1080p but can't accept an outside 1080p source (not that you could find one).

8. Hanson

Hanson Producer

Hanson
    While single chip DLP sets are much cheaper, the LCOS sets are 3 chip sets, and the street price for the Tosh ($6000 - $7000) is amazing considering it is first generation (first of kind).

I'd imagine that by the time all the heavy hitters come out with LCOS sets and the fab plants start really churning out the chips, the price should drop quite a bit. I can see them with $6000 SRP and street for $4000, which is comparable to today's DLP sets.

9. EvanYeager

EvanYeager Agent

DLP, LCD, LCOS?

Good grief. I not seen a LCOS (that I know of). I have been looking at DLP but reliability seems to be a crap shoot.

Anyone care to compare and contrast the above in the RPTV configuration?

10. David Lorenzo

David Lorenzo Stunt Coordinator

Hanson Yoo

What makes you think that DLP will become obsolete?
    DLP will certainly reach full HDTV resolution, and when manufacturers start making 3 chip sets there will be no rainbow problems. I'm curious as to what may make LCOS inherently better than DLP?

11. RussB

RussB Auditioning

What is LCOS and how does it differ from DLP? Also, Are there any 3 chip DLP TVs out yet? I know the DLP in theaters are using 3 chips and was curious as to why there are no RPTVs at least to my knowledge.

Russ

12. Hanson

Hanson Producer

Hanson
    The reports I'm reading suggest that LCOS just plain looks better than current DLP sets. It's just been getting raves all over. Now, that's mostly because of rainbowing and such, but the LCOS has a higher native resolution as well. But if you look at the price of the only LCOS set on the market and compare that to DLP sets, by the time 3 chip DLP RPTV's hit the streets, the LCOS will have the price advantage on top of everything else.

13. Sean M

Sean M Stunt Coordinator

Russ, to answer your question, LCOS is basically a reflective version of LCD. Since it is reflective the pixels can be placed very close together with the circuits for addressing each pixel hidden behind the chip, thus elminating screen door(well, almost, it has a 93% fill factor; DLP 87%).

Hanson, LCOS has several manufacturing hurdles to clear before it can be annoited the display tech of the future. The yields for LCOS production have notoriously low for every manufacturer that has tried it. The Toshiba set marks the third attempt at sucessful introduction of the technology in RPTV format. Both RCA and JVC failed in their attempts.

DLP, on the other hand, has several inherent advantages, incuding better contrast ratio and black level and perfect convergence, since it's a single chip. The drawbacks are dithering with motion and in low light, though I'm not sure how visible these artifacts are in an RPTV, and color seperation artifacts (rainbow effect), which effects those which are sensitive to it, like me. This artifact may be eliminated by the SCR (Sequential Color Recapture) color wheels that will eventually find their way into DLP sets. This, combined with the dimple fix on future chips will allow for more brightness and contrast from similar designs and faster chip addressing will reduce dithering further in the future. Plus, TI wants this technology to be cheap and is pricing its chips accordingly. They are already disappointed at the price of the HD2 FP's. DLP sets will probably always have a price advantage over LCOS until large flat panel displays kill them both.

Let us also remember that if LCOS does stick around, there is no guarantee that it will be in three chip form. Philips is working on introducing one chip LCOS with a spinning prism, much like a color wheel in DLP (well, an SCR color wheel anyway). This system has the possibility to marry the the best of DLP and LCOS, with the reduced screen door of LCOS and the increased conrast ratio and perfect convergence of DLP.