What's new

CRT viewing question. (1 Viewer)

Keith_Hart

Grip
I have a RUNCO CRT system and I am planning on using it in a large game room setting. Is not a good idea? I am new to this stuff but I had planned on a game room / home theater system. I have a large continuous room with the home CRT and screen set up in the front and a pool table and bar in the back. Will the picture quality be good for the entire room?

Thanks,
Keith

Matthew Todd

Second Unit
Hi Keith!

I have an 8" CRT (Ampro) that I'm using in a spare bedroom at the moment to project an image 84" wide.

What you will find with CRT front projectors (also true of digitals, but less so) is that controlling the ambient light is very important to be able to get the best picture from the projector.

Are you planning on running the projector with the lights on or off or dimmed? What about windows? If there are any in the room, can they be covered?

Matt

Keith_Hart

Grip
Thanks for your reply. I had planned on using it at all times when people are down there. There are multiple windows in the room and I do plan on covering them some of the time. I guess my question is if I want to use that room with the projector and it is during the middle of the day with light coming in the windows will this projector work and be able to be seen as a regular tv? If not do I need to look at getting a seperate TV to work in that room during the day? Thanks for your help. Keith

Matthew Todd

Second Unit
Using a CRT projector in a room with a lot of ambient light is not going to be ideal. Because digitals are generally brighter, you would probably have better luck there, although they also look best in a dark room.

You may be able to make it work if you get a higher gain screen that is able to reject ambient light well. I don't know too much about this particular area (others here will hopefully chime in with more specifics), but I believe you may be able to make this work if you use a special higher gain screen maybe combined with keeping the image size somewhat conservative.

For some background on brightness, I think that a direct view TV puts out somewhere around 35-50 foot lamberts (someone else might have better numbers).

Generally people will set up a CRT projector to get about 10 foot lamberts off the screen.

You can increase the brightness either by increasing screen gain or by decreasing the screen size.

Matt

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks