CRT RPTC Owners: how often do you clean your CRTs and mirror?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Dave H, Sep 19, 2005.

1. Dave H

Dave H Producer

I have a nine-month-old Sony KP-57WS520. I opened the back up the other day and was surprised to see how the CRTs and mirror were pretty clean (only a few specs of dust). I was told afterward to use a flashlight at an agnle to see how dirty the CRTS really are (I didn't do this).

How often do you guys clean your CRTs and mirror? I'm wondering if I should go back in and still clean anyway -- I forgot to look at the inside on the TV screen. Though if the CRTs and mirror looked pretty good, I assume behind the screen is probably good too.

2. Michael TLV

Michael TLV THX Video Instructor/Calibrator

Michael Chen
    Greetings

Go in once a year to take a look. Depends entirely on how dusty the house gets and how clean people keep their homes.

Regards

3. Jerome Grate

Jerome Grate Cinematographer

I have a fear on going back there, but how tough is it. My Sony KP51WS520 is about a year old. Should this be a concern, and what effect will dust accumulation will have on picture quality?

4. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

Dust will decrease resolution sharpness and decrease ANSI contrast. Like Michael says, it really depends on the environment. RPTVs can be a lot more susceptible to dust)than a ceiling mounted FP) because the lenses are pointed up, on the other hand they can be less susceptible because the lenses are enclosed in a box. Go figure it really depends [​IMG].

A great way to REALLY see how dusty it is is to throw up a bright image and your sparkling clean lenses won't look so clean anymore [​IMG].

Also, do not overclean your lenses, every cleaning introduces inevitable scratches, use a proper cleaning method, and only as often as you really have to.

5. Dave H

Dave H Producer

Wow. I used a flash light to look at the mirror and CRTs and it revealed more dust than my initial look.

I cleaned the CRTs, inner screen, and mirror -- and even though there was not a lot of dust on them, the cleaning did make quite a noticable difference! Even my girlfriend noticed it and she's not a videophile.

I'm think every six months or so would be good to do...what do you guys think? I did find the mirror difficult to get rid of some small haze or streaking spots. I need to buy some sprayway.