1. We suffered a brief outage this morning when our host noticed that HTF needed to be moved to a different server due to a hardware failure. That work is now complete. Please post in the feedback area if you have any issues.
    Dismiss Notice

CRT RP and off-axis

Discussion in 'Displays' started by ScottLR, Oct 6, 2004.

1. ScottLR

ScottLR Stunt Coordinator

OK, I've been holding out for LCOS with 1080p and 1920 x 1080. I dunno when it will happen, and at what price.

Anyway, I'd consider CRT RP, although I love the Sony RP LCD.

The question: Are there ANY CRT RP sets that have good off-axis viewing? I mean the picture doesn't suck when you stand up or sit on the floor, or you're off to the side of the couch.

Thanks!

2. Doug Z

Doug Z Stunt Coordinator

About how far is your viewing distance? I'm looking to buy a 57" and that is for approx 12' away. Too big of a screen too close to the couch will just annoy you.

3. ScottLR

About 10 feet away.

4. John S

John S Producer

The vertical off axis veiwing on all CRT RPTV's, really stinks, some have much better horizontal off axis viewing than others. but the vertical off axis seems to universally stink.

Be carefull of any projection technology on this particular. If it is important, I usually try to steer people to direct view, usually Plasma.

5. ScottLR

Thanks - thought so. I figured maybe there was a good set I hadn't seen. I'm going to wait until probably next spring, and then decide. Direct view will be too small - I want at least 50". LCD, DLP, LCOS, who knows!

6. John S

John S Producer

Hmm you really mean 55" Plasma is to expensive right? lol

7. ScottLR

Yep!

8. Andy Goldstein

Andy Goldstein Stunt Coordinator

i have a panny rpcrt. the off-axis viewability in the vertical direction stinks (dont stand up when you watch tv!), but the horizontal is great. as far off as 45* looks fine. i have had 12 people over to watch a movie, spread from wall to wall, starting 6' back from the screen. the room is 12' wide. everybody had a great view!

ag.

9. ScottLR

Thanks Andy, but I'm still going to hold off. I will buy RP, but not sure which technology. I really don't want to compromise on off-axis viewing.

10. John S

John S Producer

ScottLR.... Then you do not want RP.. period. Just a reality of life.