CRT projector, good enough?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Lucas_F, Apr 28, 2004.

1. Lucas_F

Lucas_F Auditioning

I'am considering buying an Electrohome 4100.

ECP 4100
    peak lumens: 725
    Contrast Ratio: 15,000
    Horizontal Scan Rate: 15-80
    Vertical Scan Rate: 45-120
    RGB Bandwith: 65
    Max Resolution: 1280x1024

I want to watch HDTV, play XBOX and PS2, Watch regualr digital cable, and finally DVD's.

Will this projector be able to support all these? Is the 1280 resolution good enough? Contrast ratio good?

PS: I'm a NOOB!

2. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

Used CRTs can be a great way to go, but you're not going to resolve that resolution on an ECP. ECPs go for pretty cheap, though they throw a very very nice picture for a few hundred bucks or so. The electronic input capability listed is not the same as the resolvable resolution. This is sorta confusing, i know, but that's just the nature of the beast.

you also have a pm.

3. Lucas_F

Lucas_F Auditioning

could you explain that one more time.............

4. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

The electronic input capabilities is not the same as the resolving capability of the projector.

You can think of it similarly to a digital projector that has a fixed, defined panel resolution. It only has so many pixels, which is set in stone. It can resolve only that many, and no more, yet often you can input higher resolutions, which will then get scaled down to fit the native panel resolutions.

CRT projectors, however, work differently. There is no native resolution, due to the analog nature of electron beam scanning. There is no need to scale all inputs to any kind of native panel resolution. What you input, within the electronic capabilities of the set, is what you get displayed. Too low a resolution, and you'll see scanlines, because you have too low of scanline density. Too high, and youll have too many, they will overlap, and you'll get a soft picture. Just right, in the "sweet spot," and they will form a solid picture without visible scanlines, and without overlap. This can vary, even between identical units, because beam setup heavily impacts how high a resolution you can go before you start to overlap scanlines.

So you can feed a CRT projector insane resolutions, and it will display it, though it is usually beyond what you would want to feed it for ideal picture quality.

consult the linkasi gave you via private message and email.