CRT or Rear Projection?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Jeremy Scott, Dec 6, 2003.

1. Jeremy Scott

Jeremy Scott Second Unit

My new tube for my 36 " JVC HDTV is on the way, and if it doesnt correct my purity problem.....i am gonna go back to the store and hopefully get store credit towards a new tv.

I am leaning towards moving to a RPTV. Some people say that RPTV wont have as clear a picture as a CRT, but with a correctly calibrated TV, i think it is possible.

Can someone reccomend any good RPTV's out there???
    I like the look of thr 47" Panasonic but i am not sure how the quality of them are. My price range would be about $2000 max.

Thanks.

2. Andy Goldstein

Andy Goldstein Stunt Coordinator

i cant speak for all the other brands out there, but my 53" panny rp is simply stunning! i find myself watching HD stuff that i have no interest in, just for the picture. so far i have just tweaked it from the user menu. gonna give it a couple of months to settle in, and then a full convergence.

ag.

3. Jeremy Scott

Jeremy Scott Second Unit

is it a new panny or older model?

4. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

This is a strange question. I assume you mean direct-view CRT. RPTVs can also use CRTs, and they have overwhelmingly until very recently with the popularity of lighter/brighter (inferior, IMO) digital projection units. As for claims that RPTVs are inferior to direct view sets, that's ridiculous.

5. Andy Goldstein

Andy Goldstein Stunt Coordinator

its this years model. 2 component, 1 dvi, a bunch of s-vid. built-in screen shield, etc. and with the bass turned down, the built-in speakers sound remarkably like the advent center channel unit on top. i noticed that the other day when i wanted to see if i could move the center audio image down to the screen area. works nice, but confuses the whole front soundstage a bit. as expected.

ag.

6. Gary Seven

Gary Seven Grand Poo Pah

Gaston
    I have always found that direct view offers better contrast, sharpeness and color brilliance than RPs. At least for my taste.

7. Dave H

Dave H Producer

I find direct views sets have the best picture (with everything being equal). I would think physics plays a factor here --- 1200 scan lines condensed at 25" would be better than being condensed at 50" - in other words, they are more condensed, therefor making the picture look "stronger."

However, I rather have a larger screen and go with rear projection.