What's new

CRT or Rear Projection? (1 Viewer)

Jeremy Scott

Second Unit
My new tube for my 36 " JVC HDTV is on the way, and if it doesnt correct my purity problem.....i am gonna go back to the store and hopefully get store credit towards a new tv.

I am leaning towards moving to a RPTV. Some people say that RPTV wont have as clear a picture as a CRT, but with a correctly calibrated TV, i think it is possible.

Can someone reccomend any good RPTV's out there???
I like the look of thr 47" Panasonic but i am not sure how the quality of them are. My price range would be about $2000 max.

Thanks.

Andy Goldstein

Stunt Coordinator
i cant speak for all the other brands out there, but my 53" panny rp is simply stunning! i find myself watching HD stuff that i have no interest in, just for the picture. so far i have just tweaked it from the user menu. gonna give it a couple of months to settle in, and then a full convergence.

ag.

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member

This is a strange question. I assume you mean direct-view CRT. RPTVs can also use CRTs, and they have overwhelmingly until very recently with the popularity of lighter/brighter (inferior, IMO) digital projection units. As for claims that RPTVs are inferior to direct view sets, that's ridiculous.

Andy Goldstein

Stunt Coordinator
its this years model. 2 component, 1 dvi, a bunch of s-vid. built-in screen shield, etc. and with the bass turned down, the built-in speakers sound remarkably like the advent center channel unit on top. i noticed that the other day when i wanted to see if i could move the center audio image down to the screen area. works nice, but confuses the whole front soundstage a bit. as expected.

ag.

Gary Seven

Grand Poo Pah
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gaston
I have always found that direct view offers better contrast, sharpeness and color brilliance than RPs. At least for my taste.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
I find direct views sets have the best picture (with everything being equal). I would think physics plays a factor here --- 1200 scan lines condensed at 25" would be better than being condensed at 50" - in other words, they are more condensed, therefor making the picture look "stronger."

However, I rather have a larger screen and go with rear projection.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks