What's new

CRT Issues! (1 Viewer)

Lee_eel

Second Unit
Hello, just wonder if anyone could offer any advice please? I currently have a Philips 24 inch widescreen CRT. I use it mostly to view dvds (i have a huge collection!) i also use it to play the odd console game on. My problem is that i have started to notice a flickering to the image, especially when watching darker scenes on dvd. I thought this may be my Sony 735 (quite old) dvd player but when i disconnect it the problem is still visible on my crt. (Uk pal system) I banged the brightness up to see if it was anymore noticeable and sure enough it is! i am seeing a pattern of lines. I am also seeing parts of the screen flicker. I don't know if this is caused by the wavey lines or not but it just looks ugly.
I have tried my dvd player with a friends tv (Same as mine but 28 inch) and his has very slight inteference when brightness levels are turned up but nothing which could cause flickering like mine.
This is bad timing as i am buying a Sony Bravia LCD in a years time and just wanted something to last me until then.

If anyone could offer me any advice as to what it could be i would be very grateful. (is this a known issues with CRT?)

By the way the only connection i use is a £40 Scart connection, gold plated all the rest of it. I do not have an ariel connected or any other source which could cause magnetic inteference!

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
Wavy lines usually mean some interference in the video signal. You may get improvement by unplugging and replugging each and every cable, this act cleans the connection somewhat.

Also don't have external speakers too close to the TV (at least 3 feet away). If you had the speakers too close, move them away and see if the problem goes away after a week of normal viewing (turn ons and turn offs with at least an hour in between each which trigger automatic degaussing).

Video hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

Lee_eel

Second Unit
Thanks. however only have scart leads connected. There is no other device connected. I only connect the console when needed because i thought that might be casuing the problem. I have experienced problems with the sets speakers for a few months (out of warranty) They basically fluctutate between normal stereo and the pretend surround sound function offered by my tv! Could this be causing the inteference also? I wasn't that bothered because i listen to films through headphones but i can't concentrate on films when the screen is flickering on dark scenes.

ChristopherDAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
AE5VI
Sounds to me as if the internal circuit boards have come unseated, or perhaps are going bad. I'm not going to advise you to open up the set and look inside, but if that's something you would do anyway, you might check that.

Lee_eel

Second Unit
Thanks for the advice. Can't believe the timing. I only need it for another year before buying a Sony Bravia!!!

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
I used to have a similar problem with a 19" View Sonic monitor. It was flickering off to one side. It seemed to happen more often during summer months. Eventually I bought a replacement Samsung 19" and no problems at all even after nearly 3 years of constant use. I do keep some small speakers right next to the monitors. I did move my PC case away from the monitor (it used to be right next to it). You just never know sometimes until you try every single thing (even replacing the problem device).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks