CRT HD TV's that upconvert

Discussion in 'Displays' started by sethM, May 11, 2006.

1. sethM

sethM Auditioning

Hoe can I tell by the manufacturer's description if their TV upconverts a non HD signal to HDTV like quality? Or do ALL HD CRT's do this? expecially those with a built in tuner?

(yes I am new to this).
    I am toying with a CRT vs a LCD (32") TV when I do not have HD reception- I have regular Direct TV at the moment.

Thx

2. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Cinematographer

All HDTV's upconvert SDTV source material but how well they do it varies all over the map and it is usually impossible to find out without auditioning.

If the set is advertised with Silicon Image or Faroudja de-interlacing it is one of the better quality sets for SDTV.

The picture is always smoother then on a true SDTV set of the same size but the resolution relative to the original source is never greater than on a top grade SDTV set.

Video hints:
    http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/viddoubl.htm

3. sethM

sethM Auditioning

Allan,
    Thanks.
    Out of the box and being that I do not have HD Satellite, would a HD CRT be a better choice versus a HD LCD flat screen? I keep going back and forth on this and I am having a hard time finding a good source on the web for clarity.

4. Michael TLV

Michael TLV THX Video Instructor/Calibrator

Michael Chen
    Greetings

Depends on if you are limited by space or money. The HD CRT will have better blacks than the LCD ... but the LCD will likely be able to handle higher resolutions than the crt.

Regards