CRT Front Projection Newbie Questions

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Stan Rozenfeld, Jan 26, 2002.

1. Stan Rozenfeld

Stan Rozenfeld Stunt Coordinator

Hello, Everyone!

I've been doing research on a rear projection set, and have settled on Zenith IQB64W10W. However, after scanning few forum threads, I came to the conclusion that I owe it to myself to check out the front projection option.

Several people have recommended DLP, so I checked out Seleco (not sure which model, but it was about $12000), and the new Sharpvision that everyone is raving about. I have to say that for this movie fan, DLP simply does not do it, at this point. The picture lacks the richness and the depth, of even a good rear projection set. Maybe, I am wrong, and I am open to being corrected, but it seems to me that DLP is for people who want size of picture, and ease of use, above all else. I will be checking some more DLP systems over the weekend to see if I can confirm or contradict my initial impression.

So the only other option is a used CRT front projector. On two occasions I was able to demo a new CRT projector, and I was blown away by the picture, which to me demonstrated that CRT is the only way to go for this movie fan. However, these CRT projectors start at $15000 and go up from there. The better system that I saw was $60000. They are also huge. So I am wondering if it's worth going that way, considering the obstacles.

My questions are:

I am setting up home theater in the living room. Is there any way to set up the CRT projector on the floor, because I definitely will not be able to hang it on the ceiling?

The lighting will be totally controlled. The room size is 15.5 feet by 11.5. In terms of the distance, etc, will I be able to fit a 100" diagonal 16:9 screen, and still get a good picture? My seating position will be about 13', but I am concerned here about the distance of projector to the screen.

Where can I learn more about how to evaluate and buy used projectors, so as not to get stuck with a lemon? What features to look for? Any links, sites, reputable dealers?

Are there any places like home theater clubs that would demo a good projector in the appropriate environment? I live in Central New Jersey, near Princeton, but can travel to Brooklyn and Staten Island as well.

How much should I budget for a projector that will give a good size picture without sacrificing quality? What about the screen, installation costs, callibration costs, video processor?

What sort of ongoing maintenance should I expect to do, and how much would that cost?

There seems to be a market developing for used DLP and LCD projectors, enabling people to sell their old gear easily and upgrade. This has probably to do with their portability and light weight. This is one of the advantages of a front projector over a RPTV set. Is there a similar market in CRT front projectors?

I'll be happy to hear any other advice that you can give me on front projectors and places where I can learn more about them.

Thank you in advance for your responses,

Stan

2. Chris_Holmes

Chris_Holmes Auditioning

Stan, I was in the same boat as you are now. Rear projection? DLP? LCD? CRT? I eventually settled on a CRT projector, why? PRICE! [​IMG] If you check here and on www.avscience.com you'll find people that sell used CRT projectors at a good price. Curt Palme is one name that comes to mind. I managed to get an Electrohome ECP4000 from work because it was being replaced by an LCD projector. Many corporations are doing this switch which means there are a lot of CRT projectors becoming available. You should be able to pick up a DECENT graphics grade CRT for 1-3K U.S. I'm just learning all the in's and out's of these things myself and am prepared to do some serious tweaking to get a great picture. They work best with a HTPC (Home theater PC) but will work with stand alone line doublers or scalers. The HTPC is the most flexible and cheapest route to take. I have yet to build mine but believe it will cost about 1K Canadian to do. Set up is quite involved as you have to establish the throw distance and mount the projector (either floor or ceiling) and then converge, focus and play around with resloutions to get the best picture available. They work best in a completely light controlled room. An 80" wide screen (about 100" diagonal) will need to be about 1.6 times the width away from the projector so it should easily fit in your room. I'd probably avoid ebay to buy a Projector as I've heard of a number of people getting ripped off. Curt always has projectors for sale and is know to be very trustworthy and helpful too. Good luck[​IMG]

3. Kevin Coleman

Kevin Coleman Second Unit

Chris,
    Why settle for a used CRT. Look at the awesome prices on these Zentih PRO 895X. Brand new 1 year manufacturer warranty for 3595.00 That is a hell of a price on these. They were over 12000.00 brand new.
    This will provide a more film like image than any DLP or LCD at ANY price.
    http://www.hometheatervillage.com/895.html
    Kevin C. [​IMG]

4. VicRuiz

VicRuiz Second Unit

I submit that getting a used 8" or 9" CRT with 70% of its life left is a better value than getting a new 7" CRT for $3600.

5. Bruce Cadotte

Bruce Cadotte Stunt Coordinator

i am also looking at the zenith projector(was leaning towards the sony vw-10ht)whats wrong with the 7" crt's?

6. Stan Rozenfeld

Hi again,

Thanks for the feedback.

Chris, one of the 'scary' things about front projection, is the learning curve involved. How long did it take you to set up your CRT projector?

Vic, why is 7" crt to be avoided? Is it because it can not fully resolve HDTV picture, just like most rear projection TVs? Will 8" projectors be able to fully resolve HDTV pictures?

Also, I noticed that there are no component inputs on Zenith. They just have S-video, composite and RGB intput. Will there be any way to convert/connect progressive scan component video output of my DVD player to this projector?

Thanks,

Stan

7. Stan Rozenfeld

Hi again,

Thanks for the feedback.

Chris, one of the 'scary' things about front projection, is the learning curve involved. How long did it take you to set up your CRT projector?

Vic, why is 7" crt to be avoided? Is it because it can not fully resolve HDTV picture, just like most rear projection TVs? Will 8" projectors be able to fully resolve HDTV pictures?

Also, I noticed that there are no component inputs on Zenith. They just have S-video, composite and RGB intput. Will there be any way to convert/connect progressive scan component video output of my DVD player to this projector?

Thanks,

Stan

8. VicRuiz

VicRuiz Second Unit

A set top DVD player will only output 480p. That is not enough for a FPTV, especially on the size screen you're looking for. You need at least 600p, and preferably 720p. That's why people use video processors with FPTVs. However, now you can get the same scaling performance from an HTPC (Home Theater Personal Computer) as you would from a $20,000 video processor, for a fraction of the price.