What's new

Crown K1 vs Carvin DCM600: input sensitivity?? (1 Viewer)

A

Anthony_Gomez

I know that the Crown is far far superior in most aspects, but input sensitivity is an issue for me.

I am currently using the BFD as a boost for my sealed 1503's. On some loud bass hungry passages, the BFD starts to clip (I am using 16db boost at 20hz...mind you, I am using the BFD as a psuedo linkwitz transform). To avoid this, I would have to turn down the source signal(Onkyo 676). The problem is that I already have the amp (DCM 600) a -0db (ie max sensitivity), so I can't compensate with turning up the power amp anymore.

will the Krown K1 offer a greater input sensitivity than the carvin DCM600? having theBFD clip before coming close to clipping the K1 would seem like a waste of good power.

Any input would be great!

Shawn Fogg

Stunt Coordinator
You will need to compare the input sensitivity/gain of the two amps to see which would do more with less signal.

The Crowns sensitivity is 1.4 v for full output into 8 ohms or you can change its gain to 26db. I think the other settings is about 32db of gain.

What is the Carvins?

BTW, if you aren't running balanced from the BFD you can probably get 6db more signal by switching to balanced.

Shawn

A

Anthony_Gomez

I am running unbalanced to the BFD and Balanced out.

I looked into the carvin manual and it says that it is 1.0V (4ohms Vms)

How does that translate agains the 1.4v with the k1?

Shawn Fogg

Stunt Coordinator
"I looked into the carvin manual and it says that it is 1.0V (4ohms Vms)

How does that translate agains the 1.4v with the k1? "

That is saying the for the Carvin to produce full output into a four ohm load it needs 1v of input.

On the Crown for full output into a 8 ohm load it needs 1.4v of input.

IOW, to reach full power the Crown needs more of a signal put into it.

What is the power rating of the Carvin? Without also looking at that you can't tell all that much from just the input sensitivity. If the Carvin only puts out 100w at full power then with the same input level the Crown is going to be putting out more power.

Shawn

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks