crown K1, samson S1000 or other?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Curtis_Edwards, Aug 29, 2001.

1. Curtis_Edwards

Curtis_Edwards Stunt Coordinator

which would you guys chose and why? This is to power a soon to be ordered SVS cs-ultra. Other suggestions also welcome. I could get a resonable price, i think, for a crown k1 ($650) or the new samson or something else. Please advise.
    Thanks guys.
    ------------------
    -- CUE
    "Without Struggle There Is No Progress!!"

2. Bob Muhlhan

Bob Muhlhan Auditioning

I've got a k1 running two 16-46 passive svs subs. The power, clarity and control are awesome. The amp runs fairly cool and has no fan so it's dead quiet. No noise either.
    Where can you get one of these guys for $650? Might buy another and bridge...
    I haven't heard the Samson, and SVS' recommendation is certainly respected. But the K1 will do everything you want admirably.

3. Tom Vodhanel

Tom Vodhanel Cinematographer

Curtis,
    the K series from Crown is very,very good...but at 2-3x the price of nearly the same power output from the S1000...it will be up to you if the price difference is reasonable to you. In your case(getting a K1 for 650)...I'd go with the K1 for sure.
    I have a K1 running some test SVs off and on and it works *extremely* well. It's not nearly as *cool* as you might read on the internet though...it's chassis heats up pretty good at idle...and just stays the same no matter what.
    TV

4. Curtis_Edwards

Curtis_Edwards Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the replies.
    Tom, I will be ordering my cs-ultra next week. Can't wait. [​IMG] My neighbors better be prepared.