Crown Ce Amp any good for subwoofer?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Tom J. Davis, Jul 9, 2002.

1. Tom J. Davis

Tom J. Davis Second Unit

Just wondering if there were any problems with using this amp to drive my 12" shiva.

If anybody is using one I'd be interested in your experiences with the Crown.

Thanks,

2. jeff lam

jeff lam Screenwriter

Jeff Lam
    i'm using the CE1000 with my tempest and I am very happy with the performance. Pushes plenty of power. The only thing is the transformer is a little noisy and leaks into the driver and the driver hums a little but it's not noticable more than a few feet away. Other than that, I am very pleased with the amp.

3. Jeff,
    are you running balanced or unbalanced?

I had some hum problem with my K2, but I was running unbalanced all the way. then I changed to unbalanced except for the final leg...went balanced between the BFD and the K2...No hum anymore=)

4. Tom J. Davis

Tom J. Davis Second Unit

Thanks Jeff.
    I've been looking for a few months trying to decide what kind of amp I want to push this thing. Just using an old Pioneer receiver right now.
    Pro amps seem to be the best bang for the buck when it comes to power. If anyone else has any suggestions for a decent amp around the $400 range, please speak up. [​IMG]
    I did a search, but didn't turn up much.

5. Are you running the shiva sealed or ported? if ported, you may not want to get a pro amp as its stock (if it has it) rumble filter is at a bad frequeny...so you'd have to get/build one. if you need

6. Tom J. Davis

Tom J. Davis Second Unit

Sealed, but I'm planning on building a bigger sub in the future. Not sure if that one will be sealed or ported.
    I didn't know the Crown had a subharmonic filter. I'll have to check that out. Hopefully it will say in the pdf file on the crown website.
    I also saw someone mention that you should change the sensitivity of the Crown if your mating it up with consumer gear. Anybody know how to do that?
    I'd rather have an external amp as I tend to change things often. [​IMG]

7. TedO

TedO Stunt Coordinator

Tom,

I am using a CE2000 in bridged mode to power my Blueprint 1503 Sonosub. I have no complaints at all, I even tried it against the Quest and liked the Crown more. Before that I had a Samson 1000, it is a very good amp, just not bridge able into a 4 ohm load. The Samson had the quietest fan followed by the Crown. The quest had the worst fan noise. For a sub, there is no noticeable noise (to the driver) produced by the amp.

If you are in the market for an amp for your sub, check out the Crest LT1000 in the hardware sale forum. It's going for $300 can be bridged to produce 1000 watts into 4 ohms.

I have no experience with Crest amps but by the reviews I have read, it would have been my first choice if I didn't get a great deal on my Crown. Both the Crest and the Crown are made in the USA so they do get my vote on that.

I can give you the instructions to change the sensitivity on the Crown to .755 mv, I did it on mine and it was really simple.

In my opinion, but an amp with more power than you think you will need. This will give you the headroom to drive your sub to it's max without clipping or distorting. I found my SVS sub sounded better with less distortion when pushed hard by my Crown rather than the Samson.

TedO

8. jeff lam

jeff lam Screenwriter

Jeff Lam
    Ant,
    I am using unballanced all the way through. I thought about using ballanced XLR cables from the BFD to the Crown but wasn't sure if the BFD converted unballanced input to ballanced output.

The input sensitivity change is only available on the Crown CE series, not the other series'. There are two small jumper connectors you need to put in place to achieve the lower sensitivity. Really quite simple. I also had a crown engineer send me a replacement fan with a lower current rating to cut down on the fan noise. Now I can barely hear the fan with an open cabinet during quiet movie scenes but the fan doesn't run all the time, only about every 20-30min or so. It kicks on for a minute then shuts off again. The samson amps have the quietest fans from what I hear but the crown is just the best of the bunch at that price point. Better than the QSC, Crest, Samson, pretty much anything at $400 or less. I was in your shoes a few months ago and I contacted all the big sub guys. Dan W. of Adire, Pat M. of BPD, they all recommended the crown over the QSC, Crest, and Samson. Needless to say, I took their advise. If all you will be running is the one channel I would seriously consider the PE plate amp. It's way, way cheaper and will have more features and control, and you will not have impedance matching problems. I only went with the Pro amp because I needed multi-channel. Consider it at least. Anyway, good luck with your search.

9. Lewis Besze

Lewis Besze Producer

I have a CE-1000 to drive my dual Shiva Sonosub.
    I also had some hum but I traced it to my other amps[for the mains],for now I used the cheater plug but will look into better solutions.
    Yes the fan is not operating most of the time but when it does it's pretty loud,but it only last about a minute,and only comes on when I push the amp a bit.
    You have my "vote".

10. Tom J. Davis

Tom J. Davis Second Unit

I'm checking out the user's manual for the Ce series now and haven't seen any mention of a subharmonic filter.

Where's a good place to order a Ce series amp? I know partsexpress sells the ce1000 for $398. Is that about the best price I'll be able to find?

Thanks for all the help.

11. Tom, maybe the CE doesn't have one. I know the K2 has one, but it is 3rd order at 8hz (like that is an issue=))

I know some other brands has one...i wasn't sure on the CE ones.

12. Tom J. Davis

Tom J. Davis Second Unit

I was just checking to make sure. [​IMG]
    I know the ce series has xlr inputs, will it also accept a 1/4 inch phono jack input? If so, all I would need is an rca to phono adapter correct?
    Sorry about all the questions but I hate to order this thing and have to let it sit for a few days while I scurry around to find everything I need to use it.
    Could someone e-mail me the instructions on changing sensitivity level?
    Thanks again.

13. jeff lam

jeff lam Screenwriter

Jeff Lam
    Tom,
    The CE series does have XLR and 1/4" unballanced inputs. You can also buy barrier strip inputs as an option.

The CE series does not have any filters built in but you can purchase a "PIP" module that you can attach to the amp to control various things such as crossover, eq, etc. Check the Crown website for more info on these modules.

I purchased my Amp at a local Guitar Center. They have a $399 price and can even come lower if you play it right. They also throw in the free Binding post outputs which was important to me because I use Banana plugs for my connections and didn't want to bother with Speakon connectors. These amps come standard with speakon only and the binding post terminal is an added feature which is an extra cost but some places have them added from the factory. I got a great deal on a Ce1000 and a BFD from guitar center.

14. jeff lam

jeff lam Screenwriter

Jeff Lam
    Tom,
    for the inpit sensitivity thing, there are two jumpers you need to put in place in order to achieve the .775V input sensitivity. One is located by the fan, and one is located by the input plate/XLR connectors. You have to remove the top cover to get to them and you may have to remove the input plate and fan to access the pins/jumpers depending on how big your hands are. There are two pins sticking up right out of the circuit board which look like this but imagine only two pins instead of 10:

[​IMG]
    These pins are very small, probably about 1/4" tall at the most and maybe 1/16" square as the pin area (I think they are square pins just like the picture if I remember correctly). The jumper/recepticle piece is provided and is attached to one of the pins. All you need to do is place the jumper on both pins so they are joined together by the jumper. It's really very simple once you see it. The hardest part will be getting your hands in there to do it because it's so small.

15. Mike Robbins

Mike Robbins Auditioning

I'm using a CE-2000 and its awesome for low end reinforcement! I actually fried one of my Shivas by running the amp bridged into 4 ohms, or about 1400 watts, once, so be careful. Got mine at PerformanceAudio.com.

16. BrendanL

BrendanL Agent

I have a CE-2000. I got it for a really good price here http://www.woodwindbrasswind.com/pro...72118&id=71174|
    with free shipping.
    Oh, and I didn't have to use speakons as it came with the regular terminals at no extra charge.
    Tell me more about the input sensivity adjustment. Will it make it mate better with HT gear? I'm using an outlaw 1050 as a preamp.

17. jeff lam

jeff lam Screenwriter

Jeff Lam
    BrendanL,
    The input sensitivity adjustment will in nearly all cases be best to apply when you are using H/T gear due to the low voltage and high impedance being passed from one component to another. Your standard plate amp on most H/T subs have an input voltage sensitivity of 300-400mV and a input impedance from 20-30Kohms. Most pro amps have a much higher input voltage sensitivity and much lower input impedance (the crown having 1.4V and 10K ohms unballanced). This is nearly 5x's higher than the plate amp, so your voltage signal needs to be turned up quite a bit to achieve the same volume level which could induce a distorted LFE signal. If you have to set your sub output level on your Preamp/receiver higher than 1/3-1/2 way up, you most likely have some distortion in your sub. My suggestion is to set your sub level 1/4 way up and increase the amp's gain till you get proper calibration. If you can't do this, I suggest a line driver or something to boost the level. I strongly suggest you set the input sensitivity to .775V, you will probably see a 5dB-8dB gain across the board which will allow you to cut back on the sub level or the amp gain, which will give you a cleaner signal with less noise.

18. Lewis Besze

Lewis Besze Producer

If you use the BFD in conjunction with the Crown ,and it's output gain is "pushed in" for +4db gain then you don't need to change the input sensetivity on the Crown.

19. Tom J. Davis

Tom J. Davis Second Unit

What's a BFD?

20. BrendanL

BrendanL Agent