Crown CE 1000 vs. QSC RMX 1450

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Greg P, Feb 4, 2002.

1. Greg P

Greg P Stunt Coordinator

What do you think of each of these amps?(both can be had for the same price)

I know they are both highly rated, the only thing I had a question about is fan noise?

1. I heard the crown only has a variable fan, and that if might be quieter?

2. I could get a used MX1500a with a variable fan for the same price, would this be a better deal?

2. BrendanL

BrendanL Agent

My brother has the CE-1000 and I have the CE-2000. They are very powerful. The fan kicks on rarely, and the variable speed is nice in keeping it from going at full tilt. However, they are quite susceptible to bad wiring, I had to use ground lifting plugs to get rid of most of the ground loop. OTOH, the wiring I'm plugged into is in a house from 1929. Check out the woodwind and brasswind for a super low price on them and free shipping.

3. Bob Christensen

Bob Christensen Stunt Coordinator

I have heard from pro-sound friends that the Crown CE series are not stable when running bridged mode. This is second-hand, and the only experience that I have is running the CE1000 stereo into 8ohm load at less than half throttle, so that is not a very trying test (but it did work OK).
    In the pro-sound crowd, the QSC line is highly regarded, and the price differences are really not that great (especially by HT standards). Try http://www.zzounds.com/ click on "Live Sound" under "Categories", and then click "Power Amps" subcategory for some screaming deals on both QSC and Crown products.

4. Bob Christensen

Bob Christensen Stunt Coordinator

Note the free shipping on orders over $200.

5. Steve Peterson

Steve Peterson Stunt Coordinator

I've got a QSC RMX850, and its going back. Why? Fan noise. The fan is on all the time and is quite noticable. That is really too bad, as it was a good price ($299) and did exactly what I wanted it to. It will be replaced with the Crown CE-1000.

Steve "Its unfortunate that the fan is so whinny. Its a decent amp." Peterson

6. Greg P

Greg P Stunt Coordinator

Have any of you guys heard the Qsc MX series?

Are these quieter than the RMX series?

They are supposed to have a 2-speed variable fan. I can get a MX-1500a(1500 watts bridged) used on ebay for around $350. I think this series is supposed to be a more efficient amp.

Thanks,

Greg

7. Steve Peterson

8. Pete Mazz

Pete Mazz Supporting Actor

Supposedly you can order at least some of the QSC amps with a quieter fan. Not sure if it's offered on the RMX line, tho.

I think, for subwoofer duty, at least, you could put a resistor in line with the fan to slow it down and not have problems. It's on my "to do" list for my Carver.

Pete

9. Steve Peterson

10. TedO

TedO Stunt Coordinator

Steve,

Know that you've had the Crown for awhile do you thik it's better than the QSC?

Is there anything to the claim of the Crowns having bad wiring and not being stable in bridged mode?

Is there a reason you didn't consider a Crest LT1000?

I am looking to buy a 1kw+ amp for my sub and I think it's down to those three, QSC, Crown and Crest.

TedO