Crown CE-1000 or QSC RMX 1450? ->>

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Zach M, Feb 12, 2001.

1. Zach M

Zach M Auditioning

If you read my last post, you know my amplifier situation. It turns out that it is royaly screwed up, and it actually blew the cone of the repair shop's test speaker onto the floor. They say they don't want to work with it anymore, so I am going to cut my losses and buy a new amp.
    Anyway, here is my question: which amp to buy? Both of the ones listed in the topic put out 450 watts at 4 ohms, which is plenty for me. They both cost ~$499. Which one is better? Do you trust one brand more than the other? How about special features? Any other amps in this range to look at?
    Thanks
    ------------------
    My Home Theater

2. chris hunigan

Zach,
    Maybe Vince Maskeeper can help you find the best solution between either amp. I have no experience with neither amp, but for subwoofer purposes either amp should get the job done! I believe when it comes to sound rienforcement amps they come down to three things. One is price, the other is ability to handle low impedances for long periods, and last its durability over a great amount of years. These are definately three keys I am trying to look for as I shop for my sub amp.
    I have been heavily looking into the QSC RMX amps, especially the 1450. You can find this for $429 including shipping from DJ Tronix http://search.shopping.yahoo.com/sea...450&pf=&pt=&X= If you ask me this is an excellent price. The lowest I have seen on the Crown CE1000 is $455.10 from CompetitionSound. http://search.shopping.yahoo.com/sea...000&pf=&pt=&X= This is also an excellent price. So either way I quoted a lower price than you were originally looking for. Also these amps seem to have the same market strategy/goal, which is to produce an amp that can dish out alot of power for a fraction of cost. So this puts you on the $ to watt ratio...
    Overall you can't loose or benefit from either amp.
    cree

3. JimX

JimX Auditioning

How is the FAN NOISE, if any, on these units?

4. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

Fan noise is pretty close between the two. Both feature variable speed cooling fans, the Crown one seems to stay at a lower speed most of the time for me, but the QSC was able to stay pretty quiet even at high fan RPM.
    I have a QSC amp powering my sub for the time being (not an RMX, a powerlight but...), and it isn't even meterable at the listening position, barely noticable...
    If I had to choose between MX and CE, I would buy the Crown. It's a close competition, both are "budget" products from well known manufacturers, so they simply aren't going to live up to their professional quality namesakes.
    Crown's approach to budget amplification has always been preferred by me, less bells and whistles, more solid amplification.
    Understand that 99% of the time: two amps, one with "special features" one without, same price tag, the non-featured amp is a better product. I avoid cheap amps with bells and whistles, it's like a $99 car with power windows, just more stuff to go wrong.
    I have owned and tested both amps, and I have to say I was pleasantly suprised by the QSC stuff, but it didn't quite best the crown. I think either would work fine, but the Crown will be a little more tolerant, last a little longer.
    If I was considering other amps, and willing to consider USED, I would (as always) suggest the Ashly FTX-2001 (475 wpc). Used can be found for $350, weighs a ton and is the best sounding "budget" amp I have heard. It is even THX certified, whatever that is worth.
    Other brands to consider: Yorkville, Ashly, Carver.
    Check the archives for endless manifesto's on amplifiers:
    http://www.hometheaterforum.com/uub/Archives/Archive-000002/HTML/20000918-17-001562.html
    Want to join our Ohio Hometheater Club? Click Here .
    You Hoser, help us get Strange Brew on DVD! Click Here or Here !

5. Zach M

Zach M Auditioning

Thanks a lot Vince, you seem to know your stuff. How long have you been in the business? Anyway, do you think the Crown would be worth the extra ~$50 over the QSC? That is the difference between the two lowest prices I have found (including shipping). Again, thanks for the info.
    ------------------
    My Home Theater

6. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

7. Zach M

Zach M Auditioning

Thanks, I am going to go with the QSC and buy Super Speedway on DVD and the Tarzan soundtrack for new material! Thanks again.
    ------------------
    My Home Theater

8. JimX

JimX Auditioning

What type of inputs are on these amps? most of the pics are unclear but it doesn't look like they come with rca line level inputs.

9. Roland Wandinger

Roland Wandinger Stunt Coordinator

You guys pay only $500 for the Crown!! I had to pay around $750 for the 1000 and that was a special sale.
    The CE 1000 does not have RCA inputs, I had to use 6mm Jacks to RCA adaptors.

10. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

11. John E Janowitz

John E Janowitz Second Unit

Thought I'd throw my opinion in here. The Crown CE-2000 I have here does have an annyoing fan. It seems to stay at a low speed, but even when mounted in the next room I can still easily hear the noise. I would personally go with the Crown though over the QSC for the no-fault warranty. If you break it, even if it's your fault they'll fix or replace it.
    John

12. JimX

JimX Auditioning

I assume I could have my interconnect coming from my Richter Scale terminated with one rca and one 1/4" plug to avoid using the adapter.