What's new

Crown Amp with Car Subwoofer (1 Viewer)

KyleL

Auditioning
Hello,

I want to replace my subwoofer with something that will really shake the house. I have looked, and all subs with a built in amp are extremely expensive, mostly the high powered ones.

What I was thinking about doing is getting a crown, peavy, or qsc amp off ebay for around 100-250 dollars. One of those should have a about 500-1000watts bridge at that price range I think? Can anyone recommend a good amp for a subwoofer.

Then intend on buying or building a ported box, and load if with some decent pionner subs, like 2-4 of them at 12" each.

I have a Integra DTR 5.5 reciever, with a rca subwoofer pre out jack. Does this mean that the Integra has a built in crossover, so I wont have to buy one?

Will this work, and creat a big boom like you hear in the loud cars that pull up next to you on the street?

Thank you,
Kyle Leissner

SethH

Senior HTF Member
The receiver should have a built-in crossover.

What do you plan to use your setup for, movies or music? If movies, I don't think you'd be too happy with the results of your plan. Most car woofers are not made to handle the really low frequencies of movies. Most are only rated to about 30Hz, and even at that they do not list how loud they are at that point (they may be -6db or -12db). If you're planning to use your system for music, and you enjoy the sound of those car stereos, then your plan will probably work flawlessly.

If movies are your main interest, you would probably be better off ordering two of the Dayton 10" powered subs for about $230 total.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Kyle, if that’s what you’re after you’ll never do it with one amp and one sub. It’s simply a matter of acoustical physics: You’ll have to have proportionally the number of drivers and amplifier power relative to the acoustical space (i.e., volume) that one of those cars has.

For instance, if the car has a pair of 12” subs powered with 4-500 watts each for its tiny interior – carry that over to your living room and you’ll obviously need something like a couple dozen subs and over 10,000 watts of amplifier power.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks