Crouching Tiger SUPERBIT

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JeremySt, Oct 11, 2001.

1. JeremySt

JeremySt Screenwriter

Jeremy
    A perspective from 1 guy.....
    Comparing the old CTHD to the SUPERBIT edition, on a RUNCO PL-50c (50" Plasma) I have to say that the difference is staggering. In the scene where the main characters are flying about in the trees, the compression on the old disc was very distracting, on the Superbit, it is nearly flawless. On a standard Toshiba 36" made in 1998, veiwed in Component video, the difference is noticeable, but subtle. The Runco has produced very obvious differences in quality between DVDs, making it easy even for the newbies to see the difference.

2. Chris Beveridge

Chris Beveridge Second Unit

I did a brief comparison with the R3 version I picked up this past january, and I'm definitely glad I snagged the Superbit version. On my 40" Toshiba tw40x81 with my skyworth progressive scan deck, the amount of grain is just minimal compared to the R3 and the blacks look just perfect. It's not going to sell me on every title out there, but there's going to be some good solid releases done this way to be sure.
    ------------------
    Chris Beveridge
    Webmaster, www.animeondvd.com
    Animation and stories for those who like to think outside of the Disney box

3. Vegas 1

Vegas 1 Supporting Actor

Alvin Kuenster
    How is the audio on the Superbit compared to the earlier release?

4. JJR512

JJR512 Supporting Actor

So the moral of this story is to get the Superbit version if it's available?
    I only just found out about these the other day at Best Buy. I didn't really look at them all that closely. I understand they're higher quality. But feature-wise, how do they compare to the standard version? Are all the same special features and extras that are on a regular version also on the Superbits version, or are there differences? And where can I get a listing of what is available in the Superbits version?

5. MatS

MatS Screenwriter

Justin,
    as I understand, to get the DTS audio and 'better' video you sacrifice having the extras (bonus materials)

6. Matt_Stevens

Matt_Stevens Supporting Actor

I am still waiting for all the online places to review. What's the hold up? It's the only Superbit I am intersted in, because of the high artifacting in the first release.
    ------------------
    www.deceptions.net/superman

7. Alex Spindler

Alex Spindler Producer

JustinR, there are no extras (not even trailers). I don't think I'll go for CTHD, but this thread had me close.

8. JeremySt

JeremySt Screenwriter

Jeremy
    The artifacting is next to gone... only in some scenes, and on the best displays, will you see artifacting. In amny scenes, film grain is revealed. I would say that SUPERBIT is only for people who dont care about extra features, or who have high quality displays. My experience with the 50" Runco plasma is that it makes picture quality reviewing a breeze. Compression is obvious, as is edge inhancement. I have only seen the CTHD superbit disc, but i would easily put it in the top 5 DVDs for image quality. (Others would include North by Northwest, Toy Story 2, Gladiator, and the original 5th element. 5th element was originally filmed in super 35, and I think that makes for the detail quality problems that it has(when compared to the other films I mention)
    Personally I think Sony could hav icked some better titles to release under the SUPERBIT moniker besides Johhny Pnuematic or Desperado. Leon? Cliffhanger? Run Lola Run? The crappy transfer done on WOLF could use some imporovements. I am excited to see what Bram Stoker's Dracula SUPERBIT will look like. It is one of my favs. I also heard that GATTACA is in the works.