What's new

Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon Superbit (1 Viewer)

Antonio_M

Stunt Coordinator
Here is an insert taken from DVDshrine.com:
http://www.dvdshrine.com/story.shtml...15&cat=current
What does this mean? I haven't seen this movie, but I wanted to pick up the Superbit.
Anyone care to explain? Does this mean I won't hear a track in English? If the movie was originally like that, then I guess I won't have a problem...but in theaters it was English correct?
Thanks guys

Sean Moon

Senior HTF Member
In theaters CTHD was in Mandarin with English subtitles...personally I am glad that the Superbits doesnt have the god awful English Dub, this is what should have been the original release...to hell with butchering the movie!!!
------------------
card11.jpg

Mike A

Agent
In theaters is was in mandirin with english subtitles. The english dub on the original DVD as with any dub sucked!
------------------
Mitsubishi 55807
Toshiba 5109
Yamaha RX-V496
DVD Collection
[Edited last by Mike A on September 03, 2001 at 09:56 PM]

Antonio_M

Stunt Coordinator
So the current DVD of Crouching (Not Superbit version), it has the English dub? And not the Mandarin? Or optional Mandarin? Both tracks in 5.1?
P.S: Glad the Fifth Element Superbit is nothing but widescreen. I am not fond of my current version which has two sides, one with the dreaded pan and scam, or open matte or whatever full size technical crap you may want to call it.
wink.gif

[Edited last by Antonio_M on September 03, 2001 at 10:00 PM]

Tom Ryan

Screenwriter
The current CTHD DVD has both Mandarin and English 5.1 tracks, once again making it the most versatile release (multiple languages, extras). It seems the SuperBit release is for real movie buffs (great for the HT, only includes the original language track, no crappy dubs) and the other release....well the other release is just fine for movie buffs too, why is this being re-released :)?
-Tom
------------------
There is nothing wrong with any of the surrounds on your Forrest Gump DVD! It's ok!!!

Calvin Cullen

Stunt Coordinator
Am I the only one who found the dub track to be totally hilarious? I wouldn't even have listened to it unless someone hadn't informed me how funny it was. I'll admit it was technically well done, but it makes the movie play as if it were a parody of itself. No big loss if the video quality improves, however.

Is there really anyone who wants to listen to CTHD in English? I don't understand why they even included this track in the original DVD release.
Markus

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Is there really anyone who wants to listen to CTHD in English? I don't understand why they even included this track in the original DVD release.
You'll be surprise how many here in the States won't watch a foreign film with just english subtitles. I've had many an argument with different people about their refusal to give such a film a chance.
Crawdaddy
------------------

Robert,
Yeah, that's interesting to hear. Maybe I'm used to subtitles because the cinemas here show the movies in their original language with german and french subtitles.
I could not watch a movie like CTHD in any other language than its original, it mostly sounds ridiculous. Nobody would like to hear a song from Madonna in Chinese, it's exactly the same.
Markus

Martin Fontaine

Supporting Actor
I've tried all 3 versions. The best is the chinese version. The french dub is suprisingly well done. It's been told to me many times that asian movies are better translated in french than english.
I still haven't tried the french subtitles though... But so far I found many inconsitancies:
Whan she places her order in the restarent, the waiter tells her in the subs: "I will need to order from a bigger restaurent" and in the dub it says "There is only one cook!".
When Lo comes to see her, then there is the desert flashback scene, when he leaves her parents ask her "What was that noise". In the subs it says "It was just a cat." it the dub she says "It was just a bat." and in french she says "Ca devais etre un rat." (Must've been a rat)
I wonder if the french subs have differences like that...

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
The English dub is certainly not the ol' kind of dub, i.e. the 70's kung-fu films shown on TBS. But the Mandarin w/ English subs is really the way t appreciate this film. This will definitely not dissuade me from purchasing the SuperBit version...

Sean Moon

Senior HTF Member
Personally I see the lack of dub a great reason to buy the SuperBit version. The dub is godawful, why have the option there?
I have had the R3 version since Feb or Mar and was going to get the R1 release so that I can still play it when I upgrade my player, and the SUperBit version seemed to appear just as I was about to buy the regular R1.
------------------
card11.jpg

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
This is true, French dubs are always the best of any Asian-original. Spanish isn't too bad either .I think it's because of the rhythm
Jeff Kleist

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
I take it the superbit release of Crouching Tiger will retain ugly player generated subtitles?
Dan (UK)

Sean Moon

Senior HTF Member
Probably, but that is a small price to pay I think. They probably use player gen so they can use the same master for all regions
------------------
card11.jpg

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
Providing superbit releases do what they're allegedly meant to do, the player gen subs wont put me of re-purchasing CTHD, but the player gen subs are still a bummer though.
Dan (UK)

Jerry Gracia

Supporting Actor
You'll be surprise how many here in the States won't watch a foreign film with just english subtitles.
My younger sister refused to enjoy CTHD just because the english dub didn't match the movement of the actors lips!!
Whatcha gonna do?
------------------
LuvLBX

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks