What's new

Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon: SB or SE? (1 Viewer)

Kevin Porter

Supporting Actor
I was looking into purchasing Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon but which one should I get? Which is better? The Special Edition or the Superbit title? Can someone help me?

~Kevin

Steve Felix

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve Felix
It depends whether you are a audio/videophile (Superbit) or someone who values extras (SE). I'd pick the Superbit. The movie is most important!

Duncan_N

Stunt Coordinator
True. Movie is the most important thing. However, if you don't have DTS there is not much point, picture wise there is no difference (hardly). The commentary is pretty good.

Bob Turnbull

Supporting Actor
The SE version looks great, so I don't think you'll really enhance it that much with the Superbit (though I admit to not having seen a Superbit yet). Not enough so that it would be worth dropping the commentary and other extras IMO.

As for the subtitles, I think you'll lose a lot of the emotion in the movie if you watch it without the original audio. Both Michelle Yeoh and Zhang Ziyi were excellent in the film.

Keith_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kyle
I'd go for the SE, that way you get a commentary track and you may also pick whether or not you may want to watch the movie in Mandarin with subtitles or in English dubbed. IMHO SB was not that much better picture wise, in fact it even looked worse than my typical DVD on my set-up (my set-up is very low end but it still usually can look better than what my first viewing of a SB pulled off.) To me the SB looked more washed out and not as sharp as a typical DVD looks. On the plus side the DTS track is a nice addition and I'm sure the addition of DTS on CTHD would sound nice.:)
Do what you want but IMO I'd go for the SE.

Sutjahjo Ngaserin

Stunt Coordinator
This is a difficult question and I'll try to give my personal views on this.
If you own a progressive scan DVD player and a monitor that can take advantage of this (or a line doubler with HDTV monitor), you will see obvious improvements in the better detailed video of the SB version. AND if this is most important to you, buy the SB version.
Then there is the issue of commentary, dubbed version and bonus material etc and only you yourselves can decide.
Personally, I don't like to watch any dubbed movies and the lack of it is not a loss.
If you really love the movie, treasure the bonus materials and think video quality is important, why not buy both?, we are talking about less than US$20 difference here :)

John_McKittrick

Stunt Coordinator
SE all the way. SuperBit is highly overrated. If they would've added the extras on a separate disk that would be another story. I have the SE and am proud of it.

John

mctague

Stunt Coordinator
Decide if you want dubbing or not.
I would hate to miss the gorgeous video while reading. Das Boot was okay because there isn't alot of dialog in a sub. :)

PhilipG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
PhilipG
Get Both
This is a great film, and quality like this doesn't come out very often. The SE is good for all the extras, but the Superbit video/audio improvement is really noticable (to me, anyway).

Rob Gillespie

Senior HTF Member
I thought the SuperBit edition looked a tad cleaner and DTS tends to sound a bit nicer on my system anyway, so it wasn't hard to choose. I really hate the overly-animated menu system on the SE DVD, something which - thankfully - isn't present on the SB.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks