Crouch wins the Heisman Trophy.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Patrick Sun, Dec 8, 2001.

1. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

I think the voters love a running QB, and Eric Crouch was such a QB. He's actually pretty fun to watch because his scrambling adds another dimension to the game that makes college football what it is.

In the NFL, if you are a scrambling QB, chances are that your career is a short one because the players are just so much more faster and stronger, and when they hit the QB, most of the time, that QB will be toast after a few good hard hits.

But in college, you can get away with a running QB, and it's a brand of football that is a toss-back to yesteryear when good offenses would just roll over opponents if they had the right QB in place. It's more unpredicatable, and plain out fun to watch. So I think Crouch is rewarded for being able to bring back the old fashion college football of running the football down the opponents' throats.

Plus, he got the Heisman hightlight on national TV during the Nebraska-Oklahoma game when he caught that flea-flicker pass for a long TD that put the game away for the Huskers.

2. Tom-G

Tom-G Screenwriter

Tom G
    I'm a little surprised that Crouch won considering Nebraska got hammered by Colorado.

It's a good selection, though. Crouch is a very good QB. If I had to vote I would have had difficulty deciding between Crouch and Dorsey.

3. Dennis Reno

Dennis Reno Supporting Actor

Without a true standout this year I think Crouch was as good as a choice as any. I wonder if he will play in the NFL and, if so, at what position? I don't see many teams interested in a pure option QB!

4. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

I would not be surprised if Crouch ended up as a slot back, or a safety in the NFL. He won't be a QB.

5. SalMaglie

SalMaglie Stunt Coordinator

I wouldn't be suprised if Couch ended up in the CFL after a couple of seasons in the NFL playing on special teams after a stint on the taxi sqaud.

6. Kelley_B

Kelley_B Cinematographer

Sal,

LOL!!!!

7. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

OTOH, Crouch might make it as a "3rd down and short" QB (but mainly a 3rd stringer on the depth charts). How's Crouch's jump shot? [​IMG]

8. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

In the NFL, a third string QB cannot be a "3rd and short" man, since the 3rd stringer is designated the "emergency QB". That means if he enters the game before the 4th quarter, he has to continue to play on all downs.

Crouch has no chance of being an NFL QB. He cannot throw the ball well, and no QB can survive in the NFL just running the option. The defenses are too fast to run the option.

9. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

I'm thinking of the guy who gets the call in short yardage situation for the Dolphins (he gets inserted for Jay Fiedler). I guess he's the 2nd QB on the depth charts, then? Anyhow, Crouch will need to be given the ball, so I say inside receiver (like slot back, H-back, etc). But, yeah, it's pretty sad that a running QB (with no NFL-caliber arm) has no future in the NFL.

10. RobertR

RobertR Lead Actor

Of course, the Heisman isn't supposed to be a "great future NFL prospect" trophy, just a "great college football player" trophy. On the other hand, one can always ask, if the player is so great, why ISN'T he a great NFL prospect, but since this year's winner doesn't play a pro-style game, it doesn't apply.

11. Scott Merryfield

Crouch is not the first non-NFL prospect to win the Heisman. Anyone remember Charlie Ward, Andre Ware or Gino Torretta? I'm sure there are others, but I cannot think of them right now.

12. Van Patton

Van Patton Second Unit

I've lost all respect for the Heisman after Manning was robbed back in 1997. That award means nothing these days. Anybody else notice that it was four white guys up there?

13. Matt Stryker

Matt Stryker Screenwriter

Van-

I don't think your implication that the Heisman is race-motivated is very accurate. Ron Dayne, Ricky Williams, Eddie George, Charles Woodson, etc are prime examples. I think if anything the award has become a popularity and a career award instead of a single season deal. Single seasonwise, I would think that David Carr, Rex Grossman, Freeney, and maybe Ed Reed would float to the top.

As for Woodson and Manning, both have developed into great NFL players; I think either was a decent choice.

14. Scott Merryfield

15. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

I do agree that the Heisman is for most outstanding NCAA player of the year, and not a "most likely to be playing in the NFL" award.

I'd have to say that Crouch is as good a selection as any with the year that happened in college football. There's just so much parity out there, and a lot of talent left early, was injured, or suspended (Michael Vick & Lee Suggs from VTech, Freddie Mitchell and DeShaun Foster from my alma mater UCLA just to name a few). Not to say that they would have won, but they (and others I can't think of right now) would have made the race a little more interesting.

And don't forget Scott Frost, former Nebraska quarterback turned safety in the NFL. Of course I haven't seen him in a while, so I'm not sure he's still playing on Sundays.

16. Joel Mack

Joel Mack Cinematographer

17. SalMaglie

I wonder how long it's been since a Heisman winner at QB ended up throwing more INTs than touchdowns? Take away Crouch and Nebraska still ends up 10-1. Oregon loses Joey Harrington, and they finish a lot worse than they did. Too bad that this has to be an award for only players on offense, but then given the state of the Downtown Athletic Club, they might not be around to give out Heismans. After declaring bankruptcy in 1998, and seeing their memebership drop from around 4,000 members down to 800+ these days, the DAC is hanging by a thread.

18. Joel Mack

Joel Mack Cinematographer

19. SalMaglie

So they hand off to some running back instead who runs through those gaping holes that the Cornhusker huge front line opens up year in and year out. Did Crouch lead Nebraska to some comeback wins like Harrington did by actually throwing the ball?

20. Jason L.

Jason L. Second Unit

I can't believe they gave the Heisman to a QB that can't throw the ball further than 20 yards.