What's new

Crossroads with Sub (1 Viewer)

JoeyT

Stunt Coordinator
Hell DIYers,
First of all, I have not decided if I need to do anything but want to get some feedback.
I built a low Q (sealed) Tempest sub about 1 year ago and have really been amazed by its performance and beauty with mahogony veneer.
My new EAD 8000 processor owners manual suggests 2 subs for the reference cinema setup in 6.2. Each of the .1 subs gets dif. information on the left and right side of the room so no cancellation issues will be present.
Since my wife wont allow another sub 15% larger than a dorm refrigerator into the room, I am wondering what I should do. I am not sure if it could get any better by another sub, but hate to miss out ;)
1. would it be possible to use the two voice coils for separate channels or should I continue to have my processor run 6.1.
2. Or my wife would probably rather I went with two much smaller subs. Would two 10" subs in a small vented enclosure get the job done?
BTW, I use the sub for music and HT. My sub integrates well with My NHT 2.9s crossed over at 50 hz (even for music).
Any thoughts from the resident experts?
Thanks for helping me explore my options.

Chris Carswell

Supporting Actor
Hi Joey,
Since you said your sub was crossed over at 50 hz, bass that low is really non-directional. You really don't need another sub. If the xover was higher (80Hz or 100Hz) then I would say do it. I would stay with the 6.1 set-up.
If you do want to do it though. I think the Dayton 10" Titanic MKII sub would be good. I played with it some for you:
For a sealed box using 3/4 MDF, each box could be a small 12.75" cube. Stuff with 1 lb of pollyfill for a 1.0 net cu. ft. enclosure with a Q of .744. In room with proper loading you should have an F3 of high 30's no prob.
For a ported box using 3/4 MDF you could go with a 16" cube. Stuff with 2 lbs of pollyfill to have about ~2.0 net cu. ft. box. Port to 25Hz and you are set. F3 of 25.7 HZ so when loaded even a bit lower.
Hope it helps:)
Chris

JoeyT

Stunt Coordinator
Chris,

good info and thanks for the extra thought. I really appreciate it.

JoeyT

jeff lam

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeff Lam
If I'm understanding you correctly, I would say sum the sub outputs into 1 so you get all the info from both outputs from 1 sub. Use a Y connector, or if you are already using a two channel plate amp, the input is already summed so just run two cables to the amp instead of just 1.

I would not suggest going with 2-10's, 2-12's yes but not 10's. Also I would not suggest running different info to each coil of a dual coil woofer.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks