Crossover ?

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by MarkRoberts, Jul 26, 2004.

1. MarkRoberts

MarkRoberts Stunt Coordinator

Anyone know what the resistor in this first order crossover is for? I was under the impression that first order network only had 2 components a capacitor and a inductor. Is this to maintain resistance for the speaker as a whole? The speaker is a meadowlark swift both drivers are wired in paralell should be a 4 ohm speaker but it is listed as 8 ohm.
    http://www.meadowlarkaudio.com/swift.htm
    This is a link to the page the pic is about half way down. Sorry couldn't figure out how to put just that pic on here.:b

2. Michael R Price

Michael R Price Screenwriter

The resistor could either be to pad down the tweeter level, or to smooth out impedance variations in one of the drivers. It is still a first order network and that resistor doesn't have much to do with the overall impedance rating.

3. Allen Ross

Allen Ross Supporting Actor

your confusing impedance with resistance, impedance of OX components changes with frequencies, were resistance is constant of resister is constant with all frequencies.

4. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Mark, additional FYI, the capacitor and resistor go to the tweeter (to make up the high pass XO network), while the inductor goes to the midwoofer (for the low pass XO network). Looking at the photo of the actual XO, I'd surmise the resistor is being used to pad down the tweeter output to better level match the midwoofer output.

While the tweeter and the midwoofer are wired in parallel, their impedance contribution is a function of frequency and XO components (as noted above) and since the 2 drivers operate for different frequency ranges, it's not the same as doing the simple math for nominal resistance of 2 loads(drivers) wired in parallel.

5. MarkRoberts

MarkRoberts Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the responses! This forum is an invaluable resource for newb's like me[​IMG] I am looking to clone the kestrel 2 for my next diy project. It mentions on meadowlarks web site that they use a peerless woofer and a vifa tweeter. It also mentions the use of a resistor so I imagine it is along the same lines as the swift's crossover.