Crossover: where should it be set, and the impact on what a speaker does?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by John Morris, Feb 27, 2002.

1. John Morris

John Morris Guest

After reading a post from back in March by SOHT reviewer Brian Florian, I have a whole bunch of questions about setting speakers to large, setting a system crossover, setting individual speaker crossovers, and whether ANYONE really needs full range speakers for movies or music. He contends that:

2. Bob_A

Bob_A Supporting Actor

Jul 30, 2000
    "Finally, if what Brian says is correct, is there any reason to get speakers that extend below 80Hz for HT at all as long as you have a good subwoofer?"

John, I think the idea is that there is no "right" way to do it. As it is, some people do not even prefer a flat frequency response below 100Hz. I say experiment a bit, and go with what works best for you. Good luck!
  3. John Morris

John Morris Guest

Hi BobA: Thanks for the response, but I want to see the graphs for the crossover affected dB decline by frequency. If a crossover point of 80Hz means a -3dB decline in volume by 80Hz, then what will the relative volume be for that speaker at 60Hz, 40Hz etc...? I'm hoping some EE can give me the answer. I am not considering EVER having less than full range front or side surround speakers since SACD or analog bypassed audio does not undergo digital processing or digital crossover processing. Right now, I really like listening to my SACDs but also have an Outlaw ICBM in my office and am wondering if I should use it, and if so, how it would impact what I hear from my 5 non-subwoofer channels? How negatively will it impact my imaging? Will I be bothered when my rear channel bass comes from the front of my room(yes, I can detect bass direction down to around 65-70Hz or so)? Maybe I should just sell my speakers, build 7 ACI Jags, buy another SVS Ultra, and use the extra bucks to buy a bunch of DVDs and SACDs???