crossover settings

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Dale B, Dec 16, 2005.

1. Dale B

Dale B Stunt Coordinator

Hi all. I have been reading a long time about crossover settings on receivers. I just can't figure it out. My onkyo has settings from 60 to 150htz. I have very small paradigm speakers, the cinema 70 series. What setting would send more bass to my sub as I don't want a lot going to my small speakers. I guess what I need to know, does 80htz send more bass to the sub and away from my speakers or not, or does the higher setting do this? Thanks from a complete idiot.

2. mackie

mackie Supporting Actor

I just checked the website and te Cinema 70 is +- 2dB 125Hz - 20 Khz. At 85 hz is down 3 dB.

I would start with 150hz and work down from there. It's not down too much at 85Hz so 100Hz might be okay too.

Play around with these and see what you like, and your sub will be a big factor in how this works out too.

A cross over point is where the output at frequencies below it start to roll off.

3. John S

John S Producer

I'd be at 125 on the lowest side of things.

This will be demeanding on your sub and make it more directionally perceptable. That is the trade off.

4. mackie

mackie Supporting Actor

The sub will make a huge difference it how it sounds.

5. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John

That is the trade off, but you don't really have much choice. The alternative is a gap or dip in response below the point that the speakers roll off, so I'd also say you're pretty much going to want to go with 125 or 150Hz

6. Dale B

Dale B Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the advice. I set the crossover to 120 and it sounds good.I really wasn't to sure what the settings mean, but I have a clearer picture now. Thanks again.

7. LanceJ

LanceJ Producer

Also: if the crossover point is really too low, those 3.5" midbass drivers in the satellites could be damaged if you felt like turning up the volume.

As an experiment I've set my own receiver to 100Hz and during certain movies and especially during music playback, at the 11:00 position on my receiver's volume control the 8" woofers in my Bostons were working hard enough to get blurry (not a very technical term I know but that's what happened!). Translation: if THAT size of driver is doing that with a 100Hz cutoff, what would a 3.5 incher be doing?