What's new

Crossover settings for STR-DA4ES? (1 Viewer)

Greg Schwabacher

Stunt Coordinator
I finally broke down and decided to upgrade my three-year old Sony STR-DA50ES receiver with a new STR-DA4ES. Since the 'DA4ES has adjustable crossovers for all channels, does anyone have any suggestions as to how I should set the crossovers for a first cut? My 'DA50ES had a fixed crossover for all channels (IIRC it was set at either 100 or 120 Hz). For reference, I'm running Klipsch RF-3's up front, an RC-3 center, and RS-3 surrounds (my rear center surrounds are a pair of old JBL bookshelves until I pick up two more RS-3's). My sub is an original SVS 20-39PC. I thought for a first shot I'd just pick the crossover frequency to be the -3 dB point of the speakers.

Also, in the past I've run my RF-3's as large and the rest of the speakers as small. Is it wise to continue to do this? It's worked great in the past.

JackS

Supporting Actor
Greg- Doesn't the DA4 have memory banks? If so, I'd assign my CD,SACD and DVD-A to large since there is relatively no bass mgt. available for these formats and analog direct. The extra bass played through the mains would probably be appreciated. For HT and using a sub, setup by selecting the small speaker option all the way around. This allows for full use of the Sonys bass mgt function when selecting digital sources. For this reason, be sure to make all posible digital connections along with the analog. Since bass will be managed by the receiver, set your sub wide open and use the receivers settings as the limiting factor for the crossovers. In my setup, I used 0db (flat) on the sub after all speaker crossovers were set. This would be just a reference and any +db/-db could be used. The final adjustmet is the sub volumn which needs to be made at the sub and is another preference. After this is all completed, total control of the sub is now in your remote. Super nice feature of the Sonys when you consider you will never again have to physically make any adjustment at the sub.

Dan Joy

Supporting Actor
Greg, I have the DA5ES which I think has the same individually adjustable crossovers. I asked the same questions about a year ago and received little info. several members told me to take the speakers lowest frequency rating according to the manual and double that number for your crossover setting. For example, my main left and right towers are spec'd down to 35hz (yes I know this could be false advertising:D ). Therefore, I set my Right and left x-over frequency at 70hz on the receiver. This has worked out quite favorably with my Avia test disc and my spl meter.
I hope that helps. Do a search on crossovers and Sony and you shoulds see other members threads.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks