Crossover settings for my new HK 525 receiver

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by BrianCli, Aug 18, 2003.

1. BrianCli

BrianCli Agent

I just purchased the H/K 525 last week. I am thrilled with it's performance so far. I do have a question about setting my crossover for my fronts, center, and rears. Here are the specs for my speakers:
    --Center channel (Polk CSi40)~~ 40Hz-27kHz
    --Rears (Polk RC85i) ~~ 30Hz - 20kHz
    --Fronts (Polk RTi70) ~~ 28Hz - 27kHz
    --Sub (Velodyne SPL 1000) ~~ 24 - 120Hz

My Harmon Kardon 525 allows for specific crossover points for each speaker group. The default setting is 100Hz for each group (meaning anything below 100Hz is sent to the sub). What setting do you guys recommend for each speaker group?

Thanks!

Brian C

2. scott>sau

scott>sau Stunt Coordinator

I would set the satelite speakers to 100Hz. And set the speaker icons to "small". This implements the "Bass Management" feature in your processor. This will result in even bass response from all six channels. Bass Management creates five full-range speakers with identical 20-20KHz response. This isn't just my recommendation from experience, but from many others. Look at crossing them over at 100Hz as a electronic crossover that prevents deep bass from getting to the smaller speakers and channeling it to your sub. The sound is much cleaner at 100Hz.

3. BrianCli

BrianCli Agent

GREAT!

Would you put the other channels (center) 100Hz as well?

Thanks for the help!

Brian

4. scott>sau

scott>sau Stunt Coordinator

I would Brian. Most of the dialog will still channel thru your center, music and some effects thru your mains and mostly effects thru your surrounds and just bass to your sub. You don't lose anything, you just eliminate distortion.
    This is a good article that explains the logic behind it.
    http://www.mkprofessional.com/bass_mgmt.html

5. BrianCli

BrianCli Agent

Thanks for the input! I am going to set all my speakers at 100Hz and see how it sounds.

Thanks,

Brian