Crossover settings for different size main and center speakers?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by BruceLongee, Jan 3, 2003.

1. BruceLongee

BruceLongee Agent

I have Cambridge Soundworks New Ensemble speakers as my main speakers (eight inch woofers), and an Advent center speaker (with 2 four or five inch midbass drivers). I assume I should set different crossover settings for the mains and center, but will that cause any problems, and/or is it not recommended?

2. Brian Fellmeth

Brian Fellmeth Supporting Actor

Only high end recievers have this feature. If yours does, take advantage of it. Cross the mains at about 50 and the center at about 80.

3. Jose G

Jose G Supporting Actor

Bruce, I like the sig.

Brian, doesn't where he sets the crossover depend on how low his speakers go? And if using a sub- isn't it prefered to set the cross the same for all speakers and only have one crossover setting so the sub handles the low stuff? Just curious. I'm trying to get this stuff straight in my head.

4. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

In general, you should try to cross each speaker over at 1 octave above the -3 dB point.
    So for example, if the mains - 3dB point is 30 Hz, they should be crossed over at 60 Hz (double).
    This prevents the crossover roll off from interacting with the natural roll off of the speakers.
    Should be able to find the manufacturer's freq response numbers either in the manual's you got with them, or maybe on their web site. [​IMG]

5. RichardH

RichardH Supporting Actor

Yep, good advice. The notable exception are sealed speakers, such as those from M&K, which are designed to start rolling off at 80 Hz. The 12dB/octave acoustic rolloff combines w/ a 12dB/octave electronic rolloff for a 24dB/octave total rolloff, per THX specs.

6. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne

7. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

I guess bottom line is: you can get all the rules of thumbs and advice you can get, but ultimately, you have to use your own ears to judge your own system's performance in your own room. [​IMG]