Crossover Setting

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by RobertDO, Sep 2, 2005.

1. RobertDO

RobertDO Auditioning

I need help Please. I have my receiver crossover set at 80hz and all the speakers set to small. What should I set the sub crossover on. On the left side of the knob it has 40 at the top and 20 at the bottom. On the right side it has 80 at the top and 20 at the bottom. I am new with subs and this is confusing me. Thanks for your help.

2. Paul Padilla

Paul Padilla Supporting Actor

One setting should be the sub's internal crossover frequency and the other should be the level or volume. The setting with 80 as the high is likely the crossover though that seems kind of low to me. All of the sub's and receiver's settings interact so be prepared for some experimentation if you're really interested in getting a good flat bass response.

Regardless, if your receiver is crossing over frequencies from 80Hz and below anyway, then the sub should be set no lower than 80Hz or you're losing bass. Depending on the performance of your other speakers you may want to experiment with the receiver crossover setting, if it's adjustable and see how it interacts with the sub's response. The only way to really test how your bass is responding when frequencies cross from your main spekers to your sub is using a test signal and an SPL meter. Avia is an excellent tool for this. If you do a search you'll find tons of info on using the Avia DVD.

Warning: once you get interested in tweaking things like this you may lose interest in all else. [​IMG]

3. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    In general, you would want to set the sub's x-over to it's maximum to avoid combining with the x-over from the receiver. Paul is completely correct though that you should experiment with it a bit to see if adjusting it (above 80Hz) gives you any improvement in sound, because every room is different.