Crossover setting question

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Steve_Moo, Jan 18, 2003.

1. Steve_Moo

Steve_Moo Stunt Coordinator

I'm going to be using Paradigm Monitor 3's for my fronts and was wondering what would be the best Cross-Over Setting to set for these speakers. My Receiver has choices of 80 100 or 120. My sub is an Infinity IL100 if that makes a difference. I would assume I would also set these to the Small Setting also.

Thanks Steve

2. Brian Fellmeth

Brian Fellmeth Supporting Actor

The best choice would be about 60Hz, but you don't have that option so use 80.

3. John F. Palacio

John F. Palacio Supporting Actor

This is dependent on the lower response curve of your mains(which I am not familiar with) and to a lesser extent the upper response curve on your sub.

You can experiment and try all three. With the choices you have 80Hz is the Dolby and DTS standard. You can go higher if your mains are a bit shy on the low end. And lower if you feel it blends better.

Best regards.

4. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Since it is listed as having a -3dB of 38Hz for low end in a typical room, 80Hz would seem to be the best choice. Setting it higher will give you a little different blend with the sub, and depending on the room, sub location, etc... this may actually work better or worse. As John noted, you might want to experiment, but I'd start with 80.