Crossover Setting - Kenwood HTB 505

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Marc A. R., Sep 16, 2002.

1. Marc A. R.

Marc A. R. Auditioning

I am a complete newbie, so take it easy on me:

What should I set the subwoofer crossover at with the basic Kenwood HTB-505 system. I know nothing about the level at which your sub should kick in and fear that turning the crossover off (which is how it's now set) may damage the front speakers due to the increased load on those speakers.

Is there a basic setting at which you want the sub tpo kick in? If you don't turn the crossover on, what happens?

Help!!!!!

2. Chess Martin

Chess Martin Agent

usually 80-100 hz, although i'm not familiar with that system.

are you talking about the crossover on the sub or on the receiver? if you're talking about a crossover on the sub, you can set it to whatever you want with no effect whatsoever on the other speakers. if you're talking about the crossover on the receiver, there's probably not a setting that will hurt your mains...

let me know if i can provide further confusion.

3. Johnny Mac

Johnny Mac Stunt Coordinator

If memory serves me correctly, the entry level Kenwoods cross over at 120 hz.

Convention says that you should turn the crossover off on the sub and get its crossover out of the equation since you're already using the one on the reciever. Leave it off and make sure your speakers are set to small.

4. Marc A. R.

Marc A. R. Auditioning

Thanks. I was talking about the subwoofer crossover. Right now, the receiver is set to normal speaker size (I believe that the three levels are large, medium and small).I will turn off the sub crossover and let the receiver do the work.

Another completely unrelated question, what is the best setting to listen to normal TV stereo on? What happens to the sound in a 5.1 setup when you use the normal stereo settings.

Anyway, amazingly quick response from both of you guys. Thanks for your help.

5. Johnny Mac

Johnny Mac Stunt Coordinator

Most tv broadcasts are in stereo or surround. I just leave mine in Pro Logic unless it sounds really bad. Most of the info will come out of the center channel in this mode.

If you listen a 5.1 source, such as a DVD, in stereo, all the information will be directed to the main speakers.

Glad to be of help.

6. Albert M

Albert M Stunt Coordinator

A fellow member said that the Kenwoods have a 100 hz crossover, I believe he called about his VR-507. When watching cable/sat with a stereo source, I use Circle Surround or DPL2.

7. ChristopherS

ChristopherS Second Unit

I have a VR-509. A tech at Kenwood told me that it utilizes a 100 hz crossover.

Chris

8. steve nn

steve nn Cinematographer

The 507 might be 110 hz if I remember right?

9. Marc A. R.

Marc A. R. Auditioning

But the bottom line is still to let the receiver handle the duties and turn the sub crossover off?

10. steve nn

steve nn Cinematographer

It sure is Marc. "Let the receiver".