crossover setting for Velodyne sub

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Dave-Z, Feb 17, 2004.

1. Dave-Z

Dave-Z Agent

Curious as to how best set up my sub. I have the Vel cht-10, and have the ability to go from 40-120Hz for crossover, manually adjust the volume, and can also turn off the sub's cross completely. Also have the phase switch, 0 or 180.

I have no ability to adjust the cross in my receiver, older model denon avr-1700, but am guessing it's probably 80Hz.

After reading many posts, it seems that the best thing to do is crank the sub cross up to 140Hz, and let everything be controlled by the receiver. So if the receiver is set to 80, anything that falls below will roll into the sub automatically?

I'm wondering that if the best method is attempting to avoid the sub's cross getting in the way, would I be better off just switching to subwoofer direct, bypassing the sub's cross entirely?

Also, should I have my front and surrounds set to large or small? Small in the front, large for surrounds? Have PSB Stratus Silveri's, very nice near full range speakers up front, but don't want to have competing signals canceling or muddying each other out.

I guess lastly, if I'm calibrating speaker levels to 75db, I read that you need to alter this level for the sub, as the signal doesn't come through very well at low frequencies on the SPL. What would be the recommended db level for the sub?

One last thing, for some reason with my fronts now set to large, it seems my sub performs much better with the phase set to 180. Is this normal to have a sub want to be out of phase? Might it be because I have the fronts to large, and in phase I'm getting competing signals, thus out of phase seems to work better? Or maybe just a crap shoot as to which stereo rca input I'm using with my mono signal and cable?

Sorry for all the questions. Any advise would be most welcome. Thanks very much.

Hmm, I wouldn't mind if someone were able to link me to some sites that might go into good detail about all of the above. Not unwilling to learn without being spoonfed, just haven't been able to find good resources. Thanks again!

2. Dave-Z

Dave-Z Agent

Feeling throughly lost here. Trying all sorts of different settings, just don't seem to be able to get a setting where I get a seemless, or as close to as possible, blending into my sound with the new sub.

Sounds great with music, very hitchy with TV and perhaps weak with movies...

Is there a way to set it up so it will blend well across the three mediums, or do I have to perhaps adjust it seperately for each one(Please tell me no [​IMG] ) ?

3. Kevin Magee

Kevin Magee Agent

You can't have both crossovers on at the same time. Even with the crossover set at 140 in the sub, you will still get a hole in the frequency response if you use both filters. Use one or the other. I find that the sub needs to be set as much as 10db higher than the other speakers for movies, and maybe only a couple of db, higher for music. You may have to turn the sub down a little for music. Also, where you have the sub placed will have a great effect on the sound. I've found that my single sub sounds best at the front of the room near the main speakers.

4. Dave-Z

Dave-Z Agent

If I have to use one corssover or the other, does that mean that I must set the sub to Direct, bypassing it's internal cross, since I can't manually change the receiver setting?

So, does that mean that the best settings for me would be to have the fronts set to small, sub to Direct, and let the denon direct the signals?

Should I also recalibrate the sub so it reads, say, 8db above the rest of the speakers? If I have them all tuned to 75db, should the sub be set to 85db?

Moreover, which is the better thing to do in setting the sub's volume? manually changing it's volume on the sub itself, or increasing/decreasing the db signal via the receiver?

Thanks very much for the response!

5. WayneO

WayneO Supporting Actor

I answered your questions in your other thread, but will try again.Try to balance both so your sub output on your receiver is between -5 and 0 so as not to distort the signal. You may have to go back and forth between both to get it right.

6. Dave-Z

Dave-Z Agent

Thanks Wayne, for responses to both threads.

Feeling more comfortable at this point. Have fronts at small, sub in phase, volume still being adjusted as I have some more experimenting to do. Getting a better all-around feel for now.

One thing that still is a major drawback is listening to spoken vocals on TV. i.e any news program, ESPN, etc.. seems I'm getting too much focus in sibilant sounds. (again, like a microphone being tapped)

Have some more investigating to do, but appreciate all the help!

Also hoping that the Avia dvd will help...