crossover setting for different set of speakers

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by felix_suwarno, Feb 27, 2002.

1. felix_suwarno

felix_suwarno Screenwriter

i am upgrading the rear speakers from paradigm cinema cc70 to boston vr-m50.

you see, i am still using the cinema cc and a pair of cc70s for the front speakers, and i am going to use them as rear speakers when i have the chance to snatch a cheap vr-mc or vr910 from ebay.

now, i know that paradigm cinemas and boston vr-m50 are not timbre matched, so, would crossover setting would help to minimize the problem?

i have denon avr2802.

2. Scott Pagac

Scott Pagac Stunt Coordinator

I would have to say no. Voice (or timbre) matching is different than frequency responce. Your crossover settings are usually based on the speaker's frequency responce. If the speaker does not do very well below a certain frequency, you set the crossover to pass anything lower to the sub.

I think EQ'ing is more what you are looking for, but be very careful with EQ's. If they are not used judiciously, your sound will become much worse long before it gets any better.

--Scott

3. felix_suwarno

felix_suwarno Screenwriter

ok. thanks.

but i have another question now.

there is only one crossover setting on avr2802. now i have 2 different speakers with different size, hence different frequency output. do i need to increase or decrease the crossover setting?

edit : i set the crossover setting to 120 since the cinemas are so small.