What's new

Crossover recomdations (1 Viewer)

Brad E

Second Unit
First off, I'm still waiting on my system to arrive.:frowning:
It should be this week though.

Anyways after doing a bunch of searching and reading, I'm now more confused than I was before. (If that's possible)
What I do understand is any frequency above my crossover point will go to the selected speaker. Any frequency below is diverted to the sub. That's about all I know.

Here's a list of my speakers.

4 JBL ND310II's Left/Right and Surrounds
Frequency Response= 37Hz - 20kHz
Crossover Frequency= 1000, 5000Hz

JBL EC35 Center Channel
Frequency Response= 75Hz - 20kHz
Crossover Frequency= 800Hz, 3200Hz

JBL PB12 Sub

My receiver is a H/K 7200 which has triple crossovers (L/R, CC, & surrounds) which come from the factory set at 100Hz.
Now ideally I would like to use my big 310's for bass as well as my sub.
So what should I do? I know the typical response is to set them at 75-80Hz. But that means that my 310's won't be using even close to their potential.
And should I use the same crossover setting for all speakers? Just asking because I couldn't find much info on the best crossover point for the center channel
Thanks for any help.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Not necessarily. Your center doesn’t have near the power handling capabilities of the mains, so you might want to set its crossover higher than the others.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

BrianWoerndle

Supporting Actor
I agree with Wayne. Especially since you have big fronts and rears. You do not want bass coming from all corners of the room. The bass response would be all over the place.

I would set the fronts to 60 or 80 hz. Your center needs to be set at 100hz. The surrounds I would try at 80 and 100hz.

Remember that crossovers are not brick walls, they are slopes. So just because you have to set to 80hz, your speakers will still produce some sound well below that point. (That is why I said 100 for your center, not 80).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation730
Recent bookmarks