What's new

Crossover question (1 Viewer)

Allen Longcor

Supporting Actor
Let's say you have some powered subs in your main speakers. You also have a seperate subwoofer. How would you set it up so that the tower speakers handled the upper range of bass, and the subwoofer got the low end?

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Allen,

This is a very general answer, but I would say around 60Hz is a good starting point.

Also, I'd love to see the actual specs on the so-called "subwoofers" that are in most of the powered towers on the market. I do know the specs of the 10" driver in ACI's upcoming Talisman towers. It at least has the power handling and Xmax to qualify as a "subwoofer" in my opinion. Unless these companies have a driver that would even remotely come close to what's available in the $100 range for subwoofer drivers then I'd say most are merely powered "woofers" with no usable output below 30-35Hz.

Brian

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Allen,

You would set you speakers to "SMALL" in the receiver's setup menu and set the subwoofer to "ON" or "YES" or something like that. Then on your subwoofer you would want to either disable the crossover or turn it all the way up. While this may sound counter-intuitive, the purpose is to let your receiver do the crossing over. Turning the crossover on the sub all the way up gets it far enough away from the receiver's crossover setting that the two will not interact with each other.

BTW, we could be of more help if we knew more about the equipment you have. The speakers', subwoofer's, and receiver's make and model numbers may help us to give you more specific answers.

Brian

Vin

Supporting Actor
Let's say you have some powered subs in your main speakers. You also have a seperate subwoofer. How would you set it up so that the tower speakers handled the upper range of bass, and the subwoofer got the low end?
Allen, what you need to do is connect the speaker wires from the receiver to your sub and then from the sub to your powered mains. Make sure your mains are set to LARGE and the sub is set to OFF. Then set the crossover on the sub to where you want it....anything above this point will be sent to your powered mains.

Hope this helps,

Vin

Allen Longcor

Supporting Actor
This was just a hypothetical. So for simplicity I would just need to turn the crossover on my sub all the way up (done) and then the high end goes to my speakers, and the low end to the sub. One last question, how do you know what the crossover in your receiver is. I have an Onkyo 595, but in general how do you know? Manual?

Vin

Supporting Actor
LARGE said:
I don't own that receiver so I'm not sure what the crossover for it is....I doubt if you'll find it in the manual but with all the 595 owners around here I'm sure someone knows.
Vin

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks