crossover question

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Don Ing, Oct 18, 2005.

1. Don Ing

Don Ing Auditioning

Planning on building my first crossover. I've read about everything I can find on the web, but don't quite understand the concept of by-pass capacitors. Am I to understand this is a small value, high quality cap that is wired parallel to the main capacitor? Is this necessary? Plan on using PE parts, as well as one of their PC boards, part number 260-120. Will be using this to crossover between mid and tweeter in a bi-amp set-up. Also, there is a big difference in price between their Solen, Audiocap, and KimberKap capacitors. Is it worth the extra expense to go with the best? All comments will be greatly appreciated.

2. Daniel.Han

Daniel.Han Stunt Coordinator

Hey Don,

You might want to post this same question in the DIY and Advanced Projects area. You will be more likely to get an answer there.

You might also try another forum with an active DIY section such as avsforum.

Hope you find your answer!

Daniel

3. BradJudy

BradJudy Stunt Coordinator

I would highly recommend posting at the Madisound forum with a question like this (search first). Lots of people with great knowledge/experience making crossovers.

4. Don Ing

Don Ing Auditioning

Thanks for your input, I will check those other sites.

5. KeithMoechnig

KeithMoechnig Stunt Coordinator

You're right on the by-pass capacitor. By-pass caps have a high ESR(equivalent series resistance). Paralleling them parallels the undesired resistance and inductance, reducing resistance and inductance a lot.
    I personally think it would be worth it in a bi-amp system.