Crossover question

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by AndrewErickson, Jan 16, 2004.

1. AndrewErickson

AndrewErickson Stunt Coordinator

My HK AVR325 has triple crossover capability. This means I can assign the crossover point for my fronts, center, surrounds and then set the upper point for the sub. My speakers minus the sub can all go down to 60 Hz so that's where they are set.

Now, should I set the sub crossover to 60 Hz or should I have some overlap and set it at 80 Hz?

2. David Judah

David Judah Screenwriter

First, I wouldn't set the crossover for your speakers right at their response limits, if I'm understanding your post correctly. If they are all rated to 60Hz you might want to set the crossover to 90 Hz or maybe even higher(you'll have to experiment).

For the sub, set it to the same as your other speakers, or to the same level of your highest setting for the other speakers, if they are different(like if your surrounds are set higher than the main speakers).

DJ

3. TimGRA

TimGRA Stunt Coordinator

What kind of speakers?

Are they set to large or small?

Turn you sub crossover all the way up (on the sub itself if it has a cross over)and let the reciever do the work on the signal going to it because that is what it is designed to do.

My opinion and THX says to set your speakers to small and ALL cross overs to 80Hz. Movies and music will sound fine. If you want to listen to music in Stereo and your speakers can handle it, only then change them to 60Hz.

4. AndrewErickson

Polk RTI38 fronts 38Hz-27kHz
    Polk CSI40 center 40Hz-27kHz
    Polk RTI28 surrounds 49Hz-27kHz

-3 dB limits are about 10 Hz above the lower limit mentioned above. I have them xover at 60 Hz in the receiver and they are all set to small.

Sub xover is set at all the way up on the sub itself.

Should sub xover in receiver also be set to 60 Hz or should it overlap and be set to 80 Hz?

5. AndrewErickson

^

6. TimGRA

TimGRA Stunt Coordinator

As for the reciever sub crossover you will have to decide by your ears how well the "roll off" between the 2 is. You want the transition between the mains and the sub to be as seamless as possible. If you can achieve this by setting them both to 60Hz that is what I would recommend.

Interesting to me that you actually have a crossover for the sub channel. By crossing over your mains at 60HZ you are already telling the remainder of that low singnal to go to the sub.

7. Tim Streagle

Tim Streagle Stunt Coordinator

Check the sound between 60 and 80 and figure out which has the most even bass response. Listen to the bass guitar, particularly in the higher bass notes. Do they seem to lose fullness and body? Some sources can be wacky in this region also, so try to check with something that sounds good when played on full range mains also.

Did I make any sense just now?