Crossover Question

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Nick L, Nov 12, 2003.

1. Nick L

Nick L Second Unit

I currently have a Harman Kardon AVR320. It has the ability to set the crossover at 40-60-80-100Hz, depending on if your mains are set to large or small. Right now I have my mains set to large, and the crossover set at 60Hz. Now my question is, does this set the crossover for the rest of the speakers(center and surrounds) to 60Hz also? I doubt my 5 1/4 drivers on the surrounds are really capable of being crossed over at 60Hz.

Thanks for any help.

Nick L

2. Brian L

Brian L Cinematographer

3. JohnSer

JohnSer Stunt Coordinator

Nick, there was some discussion on the HK crossover, just a few weeks ago. From that thread and a test I did on my 520, when the mains are set to large, they get the full bandwidth signal, regardless of the setting. They are not highpassed at the 40 or 60 Hz setting. That crossover setting determines what is sent to the sub. So, you are just suppose to use that setting to match it to what your mains natural lowend rolloff is.

http://hometheaterforum.com/htforum/...hreadid=165415

JohnS

4. gene c

gene c Producer

Gene
    Look for DannyG's thread in the "speaker/sub" section. It's called "speaker setup large or small". I have an H/K 520 and just did my best to explain it to him. In short though, you can set the fronts to "large" and the surrounds to "small". This will keep the deep bass from reaching the surrounds. Gene

5. Nick L

Nick L Second Unit

OK, after reading through the other thread I understand that the crossover function is separate from the large/small setting. If you set any speaker to large, it will run full range. If you set it to small it will cut off at the crossover frequency.

Thanks for the clarification.

Nick L