crossover question on the AVA 250 amp

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by PaulDF, Jan 15, 2003.

1. PaulDF

PaulDF Second Unit

Let me get this straight regarding the crossover on my AVA 250 sub amp...

Using high level inputs: when the crossover is set to 80hz, this means 80 hz and under is sent to the sub, and over 80 is sent through to the mains? with rolloff each way? Defeat switch set to "low pass" not "full" right??

I think this is how it is supposed to work, but it doesn't seem to have much effect on my main speaker response. It definitely effects the subwoofer, but doesnt't seem to alter the main speakers at all!

2. Pete Mazz

Pete Mazz Supporting Actor

Assuming you have your mains wired thru the sub, it probably has to do with the capability of your mains. Lots of "full range" speakers specs are, shall we say, full of it. [​IMG]
    Pete

3. Peter_A_M

Peter_A_M Stunt Coordinator

Paul,

As far as I know, that's not how it works. The crossover filter on the AVA250 is a second-order low-pass filter and only affects the response of the subwoofer. If your mains are connected to the speaker level outputs, they're crossed over with a first-order high-pass filter fixed at 125 Hz, but whether you can actually hear a difference depends on your mains.

4. Baldemar Garcia

Baldemar Garcia Stunt Coordinator

Paul,

The crossover setting does not affect either the high-level or low-level outputs. It only affects the frequencies sent to the amplifier portion of the amp, at 12dB/octave.

If Adire has not modified the high-level outputs, they should have a single capacitor on them giving them the high-pass that is spec'd in the docs (100Hz, 6dB/octave IIRC).

5. PaulDF

PaulDF Second Unit

Of course.... I should have read the documents a little closer. Would have been nice though!

Though 125 hz seems quite high. Wonder why they would design it so high? When I turn the crossover up to 125 hz for the sub, it just sounds wrong. Around 80 or lower sounds better. I will have to measure some sweeps and see where it blends the best.

Thanks