Crossover question in Pro-Logic...

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Vader, Mar 27, 2004.

1. Vader

Vader Supporting Actor

Derek
    Hi all,

I just hooked up a Boston Acoustics PV400 subwoofer (I know, I need to upgrade) via RCA cable, and don't understand how to set the crossover frequency. Crossover is meaningless for DD or DTS because the LFE channel is discrete, right? However, for Pro-Logic the "LFE" is simply derived from the matrixed stereo signal....? Does the AV amp handle the crossover duties (I do get some bass when using PL, so I know that the AV amp is sending something)? If so, I cannot find any way to adjust said frequency. What am I missing? Thanx!

2. PaulDA

PaulDA Cinematographer

Paul
    Your receiver is using its internal crossover (either fixed or at the setting you input--depends on your receiver) to send bass to your sub, if any of your speakers are set to small. If you want to use the crossover selector on the PV400, you have to tell your receiver NO SUB, and connect your front mains to the speaker level inputs of the sub (receiver to sub, sub to speakers). If you do this, you will only get bass from the front main channels into your sub.

What kind of receiver do you have?

3. Vader

Vader Supporting Actor

Derek
    Paul, my current receiver is a Marantz S580, but I indend to upgrade to a Denon 1804 and an SVS sub this summer...

4. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    With your speakers set to small, DD/DTS and prologic are all handled the same - whatever your receiver's x-over is (or is set to) is what you get for all of them. Not many, if any, receivers of this vintage have adjustable x-over, and Marantz has only introduced adjustable x-over in the last 2 years, so I'd expect there is no adjustment.