What's new

Crossover problem with Sony 777ES? (1 Viewer)

Bob Saylor

Stunt Coordinator
For some time now I've had an intermitant problem with my 777. Since it is not doing it all the time I've been reluctant to have it looked at. The 5 year warranty only has about a year to go (as all of you know who bought this player in its' short build period.) so I should get on top of this.

Anyway, here's what happens. Everything is sounding great when all of a sudden it sounds like the bottom end of the sound is missing from the speakers. This can happen while I'm using the amp or may just be that way the next time I turn it on. The speakers sound harsh and cutting (all of them, not just one)because the bottom is missing. It doesn't make any difference if I use different speakers.

I can play with the EQ, cutting back on the highs until the sound comes back to maybe just "fair" but you can tell something is missing. Then just as mysteriously, after a while - maybe not until the next time I turn the receiver on, the bottom comes back and I have to go to the EQ and put the highs back. Then all is well for awhile again.

It has been happening more and more frequently and that's why I probably should get it checked out. I really hate to have anyone mess with this receiver but I won't have any choice. The sub doesn't seem to be affected.

The last time it did this, I raised the crossover from 80 to 90 and got some of the bottom back. Shortly thereafter the sound came back and I could go back to 80hz.

Does anyone have any idea what this could be?

Charles Gurganus

Supporting Actor
My guess is the power supply is failing. Send it to the Britol Pa Sony Service Center. I think thats the one sonysel.com will tell you to go to anyway. They were pretty quick for me. About 2-3 weeks.

Bob Saylor

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks guys. I'm not sure if it could be a power supply problem because the power is there. It just changes the sound. I will try EZ board as well.

What worries me about sending it in is that so many people get their stuff back damaged.

Charles Gurganus

Supporting Actor
Bob, I recently sent in my E9000es for repair and had a very good experience. Just make sure you double box the receiver with plenty of peanuts for protection. Just assume UPS will throw the box around like a football and pack accordingly.

A power supply failure could be intermittent and could effect the analog preouts first. Just a guess. It would be best to go ahead and get Britol PA Service center address, go ahead and double box and make sure you put a COPY of the recipt in the box along with a description of the problem. They will put it on the bench and give it the once over. You may be better off using Fed Ex.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlohaTiger
Recent bookmarks