What's new

Crossover point (1 Viewer)

Boris_V

Agent
I was just curious about one thing: i read that receivers have a fixed crossover point to the subwoofer (at least some of them). Now let us think you have speakers which are capable of playing sounds decent down to 150 Hz, but the crossover point on your receiver is 80 Hz, so you lose (you'll not lose them at all, but the speakers will reproduce poor sound at that range nevertheless, so i used the term lost) all the sounds that are inbetween 81 - 149 Hz. Am i right? Why receivers don't have adjustable crossover points, so that you would be able to optimize the receiver to the speakers?

JohanK

Second Unit
Why receivers don't have adjustable crossover points, so that you would be able to optimize the receiver to the speakers?
Guessing that it's a holdover from the THX standards. Demands for adjustable crossovers seem to have been heard (at least somewhat) with rumors that more mfgs. deciding to include them but I'll wait until it actually happens. Till then, you're pretty much limited to Sony and Outlaw.
------------------
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/bbs/equipment/28687.html
Link Removed

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
I would guess that including adjustable crossovers is also more expensive, cost-wise, as well as processing-power wise. Some chips might simply just not be able to do it.
------------------

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
It would take a pretty tiny speaker to have bass extension only to 150Hz. Like perhaps those Bose cubes. Any speaker with at least a 6” woofer will easily get down to 80Hz or lower, and most speakers with only a 5 ¼” woofer can get to at least 90 or 100Hz.
Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks